Monday, January 23, 2012

HUNGARIAN SAUSAGE





Posted by PicasaHere is the sausage after a full day and night the sausage is done!!!!
It is no easy task to grind, mix in the spices etc, chill then pack into casings then smoke and then bloom it and hang it to dry.
It is very tasty as far as the spices are concerned but it is a tad dry. Next time hubby will use a fatter pork shoulder or boneless pork short ribs or add some suet. It is the fat that makes it juicy. It is nice to know just what clean ingredients went into the sausage and that it was prepared in a healthy manner. There are so many recipes to try I fear my husband will be making sausage forever. As for me I am thinking, chicken, basil, garlic sausage. Yum!!!


Since returning from our Washington trip we have both been dealing with colds. First my husband and then I came down with one Friday. As miserable as I feel I know it is short lived as hubbies only lasted three days. So tomorrow I expect I will be feeling much better. In the meantime is is sneeze, blow, cough and repeat!


Now if you read my previous blog you know we were in Washington state for a few days. While there we finally got to meet our great, great, nephew Jack Thomas and great, great niece Audrey Christine. What a fun time we had with the babies. They are both just so adorable and precious. I loved kissing those chubby cheeks and seeing their fat little toes and playing , this little piggy went to market.
I found myself talking to their mommies my great nieces about my own babies. They would comment on something that Jack and Audrey did and I would say something I remembered just like a new mother would. Well lets see, how odd I must have seemed as my son will be 50 next month and my daughter 48. But you know I still say the kids and think of them in that nature. My memory is amazing actually I can close my eyes and recall the most intimate moments with my little ones. Like bathing them and how they smelled after their baths all clean and cozy in their jammies or a clean set of clothes smelling of Johnson's baby lotion or Baby Magic (my fave). Their hair damp and curling around their ears. Their skin so soft and dimpled, well I could go on and on. I just close my eyes and all that and more is tucked tightly into my being forever. So I related along with the young mothers as if I was one of them.


It is always good to see my brother. He treats us so wonderfully and we enjoy his company so much. I always have that lump in my throat when we drive away down the hill from his house. I see him standing at the living room window as he watches us make our way down the road and I just want to turn around and go back. It is always hard to leave those you love so deeply.


Well because of my cold I do not have my normal energy and I am lagging now. So it is a good time to sit and read in my chair for a bit before I start dinner prep. A simple dinner tonight of boneless rib eye steak in the cast iron skillet. I put the rub on the steak about ten this morning so it should be well melded. They are thick steaks so we will share one. I am making a simple salad of greens, scallions and radish's with a homemade creamy Italian dressing. Hubby loves a baked potato with the works so I will make small ones. There is still a serving each of my one bowl chocolate cake sitting in the fridge. A wonderful chocolate cake with a glaze of cream cheese frosting and toasted walnuts sprinkled over the top. I  make a nine inch one layer cake instead of a double layer cake it seems less fattening in my mind, maybe not though depends on the portion. I have posted this recipe as ONE BOWL CHOCOLATE CAKE on a previous blog. Check it out.


Well on that note this woman is going to plop in her chair with her nose in her current book. I wonder sometimes how many books I have read in my lifetime. I have no idea, maybe I cannot count that far.....I so lovey my books!!!!
Till later.















No comments:

Post a Comment