Monday, July 8, 2013

TO PORTLAND TOMORROW TO VISIT MY DAUGHTER

I will travel to my daughters tomorrow and spend a couple of days. I always look so forward to our time together. It is nice that I am in Eugene and Gina is in Portland as it is a doeble drive so we see each other several times a year. Truthfully though the older I get the less I am a fan of I-5. It is always so busy with trucks and in the rainy season you can barely see when you are behind them or caught up in them.
Tomorrows drive should be fine. Lots of sunshine and I am leaving early but not so early to get caught in morning rush hour in Portland. I lived and worked in that city in the not too distant past so I know the ropes.
My daughter has our time planned out starting tomorrow after I arrive, I can hardly wait.

I was perplexed as to what to have for dinner this evening. Seems I have been cooking non-stop for days. I needed a simple meal as it is a busy day as all the days have been for a while now.
So I decided to have beer brats boiled in more beer and then grilled with sides of mashed garlic potatoes and sauerkraut. I will saute sweet onions and red pepper slices till almost caramelized and then drain and add the sauerkraut and let cook till well blended then my secret weapon add just a squirt of ketchup. Always remember when you have an acid it is good to balance it with a sweet. Actually my Mother always made sauerkraut with some ketchup added it mellows that sour taste out a bit and a small amount of brown sugar will do the same thing. 
So dinner will be simple tonight.......I am all for that this evening.
My hubby just called I expected him at three today but now it seems he will be running late as he needs to go on a couple of bids after he leaves the job site.

It is a grand day today in the southern Willamette valley. We woke to deep blue skies and the warmth already flooding through our screen doors. I put the air conditioner on before going shopping this morning and I am glad I did. The house is very comfortable now and it is heating up outside quickly.

I am heading off now to put away my morning shopping that is cluttering my kitchen counters. I will pack my bag and give the inside of the car a cleaning and I will be almost ready for my little getaway in the morning.
Have a great July 8th.


No comments:

Post a Comment