Wednesday, October 5, 2011

APPLE PIE AND LEMON COOKIES


Posted by PicasaI just took the last batch of lemon cookies out of the oven. I love these crisp thin lemony cookies they have a light bright burst of flavor. The recipe makes four dozen cookies. We always manage to gobble them up before they go stale however.
The apple pie is the pie I made last week with the gravenstien apples and shared the recipe at that time. The photo that accompanied the recipe was taken of last years pie. The same recipe and the pies look the same, but I like the photo with the fork in it. Believe me this pie is so good you could go at it like this if you did not have to share it.
I made up the cookie dough yesterday as it needs to sit in the fridge at least a hour. So it was more than ready to go this afternoon when I got home from grocery shopping. It is an old gray day so having sunny cookies coming from the oven was a nice treat. And now the house smells like a lemon. Too fun!
The mess awaits me though. I do not mind really, I have never minded washing dishes not even as a child though I do recall I did complain a bit.


I want to pass along the lemon cookie recipe now. This is the best recipe and I have made them for years. 
"Best Lemon cookies ever"
1 cup of sugar
3/4 cup shortening(part butter both softened)
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt


Mix sugar, butter/shortening mixture, eggs and lemon extract together. Blend well I use my mixer. Stir in the remaining ingredients with the mixer and cover bowl with plastic wrap and put in fridge for at least a hour up to a day.
Heat oven  to 400 degree's. Roll dough 1/8 thick on a lightly floured board. Cut into desired shapes with 3-inch cookie cutters.  Place on a ungreased cookie sheets (I like using a silicone mat.) Bake until very light brown 6-8 minutes. Cool slightly then pack in a plastic container with lid if you want them to stay soft. If not they will be crispy it's your preference.
Note*. If you want a thicker softer cookie just roll them thicker and add minutes to your baking. time.
If using self-rising flour omit baking powder and salt.
ENJOY!


Tonight for dinner it is meat loaf. I am going to make two twin meatloaves in the same baking pan. One for dinner one for sandwiches for hubby. I make a killer meatloaf, it is loaded with ingredients all minced very small to keep the texture nice and so not to crumble when sliced. Tomorrow I will post a photo and share my recipe if I have not done so in the past. I will have to check past blogs. As I have been blogging now for well over a year I have many recipes on here so do not want to repeat.


I think perhaps I best get into my kitchen once more and clean up the baking mess. Then make the salad and dressing for dinner.
Another busy day but I will have a hour or so to sit in my chair and finish up a book. This time I will be glad when this boring book is closed for good. On and on the writer goes, page after page of saying nothing. Also the book skips around quite frequently to past, present and future with a large array of characters. How are you suppose to keep everyone straight?  Please, I could write a better book in my sleep! But once I get to the halfway point in a book I never quit, but how silly is that? Do I really think that the writing is going to improve or that at the end of the book something remarkable will actually happen? I suppose I just cannot give up the hope until the last page is turned.


Have a nice day even if you are in the gray as we are here. Maybe you will have time to bake cookies, if so enjoy the pleasure of such a small thing.
Ciao.















No comments:

Post a Comment