Monday, October 17, 2011

SMALL FALL PLEASURES


Posted by PicasaOh don't you just love fall?
This was our evening scene last night. A  night with twinkling stars turning on in a black sky found us far below sitting on our deck all cozy by the fire bowl. Hubby flipped the lights on around the nook window on the outside, they are chili pepper lights. Indoors lights also surrounds the window with an ugly ghoul hanging there. Scary! No not really.
While the fire was snapping outdoors cheese biscuits were baking in the oven. I brought a small plate out and we ate the hot biscuits with butter dripping between our fingers while hugging the fire.......heaven.  It was so homey and made life seem so simple and perfect at that moment.


I will share that biscuit recipe now it is the best cheddar biscuits ever and so easy and never fail to please. 


Easy cheddar biscuits.
1 cup flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
1/4 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) cold butter-cubed
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/3 cup milk


Preheat oven to 450. Mix flour, baking powder, cream of tartar, sugar and salt in medium bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cheddar cheese and milk, stir until the mixture forms soft dough.
Place on slightly floured surface and knead about 8 times. or until smooth.
Do not overwork the dough.
Pat out into a 6 inch square. Cut into 9 equal squares. place on greased baking sheet(I use my silicone baking sheet so I do not use grease) Bake 10-12 minutes until golden brown. Spread with butter or cream cheese is good also.
Makes nine biscuits.
So so yummy bet you can't eat just one!


Tonight I am finally getting around to making the Italian chicken dish with green olives, lots of garlic and an array of other good things. I will serve with couscous. I will share the chicken recipe tomorrow.
I made my one bowl chocolate cake yesterday also. A good rich cake made with cocoa powder. I just lightly sprinkle the top with confectioners sugar. I do not make the cake in layers rather make a single 9 -1/2 inch layer.




It turned into a pristine day here but it did not start out that way. It was cold and grim until about noon. At one PM it was a different world out there.
I was walking and talking to my brother who was fishing on Silver Lake. He said it was gorgeous there also. It is his birthday today so he was doing something he so enjoys that made me happy. He never keeps the fish he catches. He releases them back in to their little world. So sweet. 


There are a few trees turning but most still have green leaves. The ones that are red, gold and yellow surely stand out.
Is there anything prettier than bright trees against a deep blue autumn sky? It always make me feel nostalgic for some reason. Memories stir bringing to mind thoughts of my folks, brothers and life in the country when I was a young girl. We had so many leaf  trees the property was a blaze of color this time of year.


Well on those sweets thoughts I will close for the day.
Walk out your door and grab some leaves plop them in a vase to add a bit of color and nostalgia to your day.
Later.















No comments:

Post a Comment