Monday, October 10, 2011

LONGING FOR TUSCANY


Posted by PicasaMy what a glorious region. La dolce vita!
These photo's have inspired me to dish up some Italian fare this next week. Of course we have our favorites but I am thinking something different would be lovely. So I am going to start scouting my cookbooks and the internet for a tempting(new to me)dish. I will keep you informed and share photo's and the recipe.


We dined in one way or another on pork verde this weekend. I really did make to much for the two of us. I am going to take remainder today and shred the prok and mix with chopped onions and grated cheese put into softened flour tortillas roll and wrap for freezer burrito's. That way hubby can grab one out of the freezer and heat it in the microwave the same as the store bought frozen ones. 


We were out to lunch on Saturday and had just a delightful time. We went to fave little bar and grill called the Jack-a- lope, yes you heard me right.  Well never mind the name the place has great pub grub. Hubby had the halibut fish and chips a fave of his. They were hand battered in a ale beer batter. The batter was to the light side rather than heavy. The fish was perfectly cooked, crispy on the outside and juicy inside. There were three generous sized pieces for a very reasonable price. Also the coleslaw was decent. How many times have you been served coleslaw with fish and it taste and smells like dirty socks. Of course now I have never tasted a dirty sock but I have smelled plenty of them in my time! I think it is one in the same.


Now on to my meal. I choose the sliders. I have had them there before and they are tasty little numbers and they were voted best in the city. The meat quality was tasty, the little homemade buns were crispy on the inside. They were plain and simple with mustard and lots of dill slices to the side to load on. My fave way of having them. Now there are places that make fancy sliders, you know with gourmet dressing and heaped with other accouterments but in my opinion a slider should be simple. Otherwise why not just order a burger. So while I enjoyed two of my sliders(brought the other three home) hubby was lip smacking and grinning while eating his fish. So it was a nice day. Good food, a little outing and a gorgeous fall day. When we arrived home we actually sat in the sun, it was very pleasant with a small warmhearted breeze. Perfect!


Tonight in my kitchen I am making an old standby. Scalloped potatoes with ham and onions in a cheesy bechamel sauce. My sis in law came with her arms loaded with green beans from her garden so the side will be fresh green beans with garlic and lemon butter and I will make a pan of herb biscuits. Such a treat nothing better than a hot biscuit with a dollop of butter.  The recipe for my scallop potatoes is on the December 14, 2010 blog.


My chore today is to clean the bathrooms as I do laundry. It is Monday and I really did not lift a finger this weekend other than to cook. So I will leave you and dream of Tuscany as I clean the toilets...........there is something wrong with this picture.
Ciao.





No comments:

Post a Comment