Thursday, October 6, 2011

ZO'S TWIN MEATLOAVES


Posted by PicasaGood morning. This was dinner last night. A very good simple meal on a chilly fall evening. I served with bakers loaded and a salad of cukes, tomatoes and onions in a vinaigrette. You can see how much is left in the bottom photo on right. We ate or I should say hubby ate almost half a loaf. I actually had one thick slice.
When I make meat loaf a few things never change but sometimes the ingredients change depending on what I have on hand. Here is what I did for this meatloaf.


1 1/2 pounds of lean burger
1 egg
1 slice whole wheat bread
1-2 tablespoons of flax seed meal
Minced onion, celery, shallot, bell pepper and garlic.
1 tablespoon of stone ground mustard or Dijon.
1/2 tablespoon of  Worcestershire sauce
one healthy squirt of ketchup
1 tablespoon of your fave steak sauce
1 teaspoon of horseradish
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
Salt and pepper to taste.


Mince all veggies and put in large bowl mix with egg  add all the ingredients and dig in with your hands to incorporate.  Do not handle any more than need be though as it will make your meatloaf tough. For adding the bread slice I roll it between my hands and it shreds into fine soft crumbs. When all is well blended turn out on a piece of waxed paper on a bread board and mound it and cut in half. Take each half and form a compact round or rectangle loaf.
Spray a baking pan with cooking spray and lay the loaves in the pan.


The glaze.
Mix 1/2 cup ketchup with 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar and 1 tablespoon brown sugar. That is the basic glaze. If you want it thinner(I did last night) I added a splash of apple cider, or you add a tad of water. 
Spread the glaze over the loaves and let it drizzle down the sides into the pan. Top of fresh ground pepper.
Bake at 425 for approximately 45 minutes.


This meat loaf is tender and juicy and holds together wonderfully. Also always slice it with a serrated knife.


Well this evening OREGON is playing CAL. The game starts at six. Hubby will be home this afternoon fairly early,makes me happy. We are just having pizza this evening( I feel lazy) it will be a Papa Murphy's chicken garlic. It has a white garlic sauce which is a nice change from the red sauce. So easy fare on ball game night.


It was chilly this morning so I switched the heat on for the first time this year. It has been quite dismal with all the gray skies.
The sky yesterday hung heavy and thick like a damp wool blanket and it appears not much different today.


Well I must prof and send this off on it's way I have much to do this morning so must get my day rolling along.
GO DUCKS!














No comments:

Post a Comment