Wednesday, April 17, 2013

REUBEN CASSEROLE


Posted by PicasaA storm quickly moved in and bang went the lightening. In a flash hail was pounding on the deck and we were running for the door! So much for grilling.
This whole scene took place two afternoons ago.
Today is much nicer. We actually saw the sun smiling through clouds this morning. Now she is playing peek-a-boo what a tease.
It will not be a bad day.

Well it seems we may be buying our Dodge Ram 4x4 truck back. We sold it to my hubby's sis and husband about six years ago as we did not need it any longer. We bought it new so we know the history very well. It is a good truck and still looks nice though the silver part of the truck needs repainting.
It will be nice to have it back as now we are considering getting a small travel trailer by next summer. Also hubby bought a small fishing boat sometime back and now will have the truck to tow it with instead of his work van. Now just to figure out a place to park it! We have the little boat in our small RV spot and then when the trailer comes will we have things on the street? Oh my.

I am excited about our trip coming up. Sometimes with me I think the anticipation is almost more fun than the trip itself.

I made a casserole last night that my husband enjoys it is so easy. So I will share it with you now.
Rueben casserole
1-1/2 cups uncooked egg noodles
2/3 cup condensed cream of mushroom soup undiluted.
1/3 cup milk
2 tablespoons chopped onion
1 teaspoon prepared mustard(I like dijon)
1 can (8oz) sauerkraut rinsed and well drained
1/3 pound kielbasa,or cooked sausage of your choice. Something with smokey flavor works well.
1/2 cup shredded swiss cheese
3 tablespoons bread crumbs
1-1/2 teaspoons melted butter
paprika for sprinkling

Cook noodles according to package
In a small bowl combine the soup,milk,onion and mustard and set aside.
Spread the sauerkraut into a 1 qt baking dish(my 7x10 was perfect)coated with cooking spray. Layer the soup mixture and sausage and sprinkle with cheese.
In a small bowl combine the bread crumbs and butter and sprinkle over the casserole and top with a little paprika.
Bake un-covered at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.(I put my baked casserole under the broiler for just a few minutes before serving to make  cheese and bread and butter topping all bubbly.)

Enjoy! This is not a gourmet recipe it is simple and taste good. On those days you do not feel like spending much time in the kitchen this little gem is a winner.
I have also made it with deli sliced corn beef or pastrami......very good.

Well my day is on a slippery slope as it is almost noon and I have much to do.
Have a nice hump day.






No comments:

Post a Comment