Thursday, June 30, 2011

PICKLED RADISHES


Posted by PicasaWhat we have here is a beautiful jar of lovely bright watermelon colored pickled radishes. I have no clue how they are going to taste as I need to wait another day before trying them. The recipe sounded interesting and I love radishes. They are certainly festive looking.
Here is the recipe.
Pickled radishes.
10 red radishes, trimmed, unpeeled and quartered
8 cloves of garlic
1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
2 cups distilled white vinegar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon sugar


Combine first three ingredients in a clean quart jar. After measuring your vinegar in a measuring cup add the salt and sugar and stir until dissolved. Add the vinegar mixture to the jar and shake good.
Put in fridge and let sit for at least three days. Shake everyday.
So it is certainly easy and hopefully a crunchy good taste.
Normally I will not share a recipe until I have tried it. But this is so simple and luscious looking, what would be not to like?


The past few days I have changed up my daily routine a bit.
I get earlier than usual, have my two cups of coffee, put on my walking shoes and head out the door. I am back from my walk before seven-thirty. Then as I am cooling down I make myself a bite of breakfast. I am really enjoying this. It gives me so much more time during the day to do whatever and I do not feel rushed as sometimes happens. And I do not worry about getting my walk in as it is done and over for the day. I am really going to adhere to this routine as I feel I have more energy throughout the day.


It is not a pretty day here. The paper said 69 degrees with sun and clouds. At this point it is mostly dull gray clouds with high humidity. Today is the last day of cool and clouds supposedly. The rest of the week is warmer with lots of sunshine.


I cut our first head of romaine lettuce last night for a salad. It was so tender and tasty. Our red leaf is ready now too. I will take one of each to my sis in law this weekend.
I must make a run to the farm tomorrow for fresh strawberries for our strawberry shortcake Saturday. A nice birthday cake substitution for hubby. Also tomorrow I must run for a hair cut. My hair is out of control at this point I am way overdue for a cut. It is nice to be home today with my basic chores done already. So the day is mine for the choosing. I love that.


My brother and his sons will be camping at Silver Lake in Washington state over the 4th. It is nice he can share time with his sons. He is loving his new trailer. He just leaves it up there for the season which is so much easier for him. All he needs to do to when he goes for a few days now is take his groceries and clothes. Everything is already there. Really perfect for him.
I am going to join him there for a couple nights the end of July. Brother/ sister time out on the boat doing a little plunking for pan fish. It is always a fun time. Campfire under a black sky splashed with stars is soul touching. No noise, no towns nearby, nothing but frogs croaking and crickets chattering to interrupt our solitude. 


Well Let me see what do I want to do now? Something that needs doing or amusing myself with something I enjoy?  It is not even noon yet I am surely enjoying this new schedule of mine.
Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment