Friday, June 24, 2011

SAUSAGE POLENTA CASSEROLE


Posted by PicasaWell now this was a tasty splendid mouthful! Everything other than the roll of polenta was fresh ingredients. The sauce was made from my freezer tomato sauce, the herbs from my herb barrel, the peppers and onions from the farmers market. Of course I did not make the cheese but would have if I could have!
This is an original recipe so I claim it proudly.


Polenta Sausage casserole.
3 sausages pre-boiled then fried till golden brown. My choices are chicken garlic, bratwurst, Italian sausage or whatever is your fave. If they are already cooked just brown nicely in a skillet with some olive oil.
1 roll of organic polenta sliced to fit the bottom of the casserole.
2 bell peppers in two different colors halved, seeded and sliced. I also tossed in a half of Anaheim pepper.
2 cloves of garlic minced
1/2 half small onion diced
1 Jar marinara sauce or make your own
Fresh thyme, fresh basil, fresh oregano. If in a pinch you can use dried oregano. About a tablespoon of each fresh. Use much less if dried.
1 med size package of shredded Italian cheese
Cracked black pepper to taste
Paprika for sprinkling over the top
Olive oil
Note* You do not need the sausage just make it veggie by adding another pepper or leeks or be inventive.


Prepare a casserole dish with cooking spray. Last night I used a little smaller casserole but originally I made the recipe for a 9x13 pan.
Lay the sliced polenta over the bottom of the casserole.
Saute the onion and garlic in a dab of olive oil and add to your marinara sauce along with the chopped herbs.
Saute the pepper slices in a drizzle of olive oil until bite tender.
Put the peppers on top of the polenta top next add the browned sausage slices then add the marinara sauce. Top with cheese evenly over the top and sprinkle with paprika and cracked black pepper.


Bake uncovered in a 350 oven for a half hour till the cheese is bubbly and starting to brown.
Remove from oven and let sit for ten minutes.
Serve with a good crusty bread and or a green salad.
You will love it and it is easy.


So tonight we repeat dinner. Love that idea an easy night for me.
I went on my run to various places today for needed items. When I returned home and put all away I worked in the backyard for a while weeding and deadheading plants.
Hubby surprised me by walking through the door just a bit ago. Home early for a change that does not happen often. So it will be lovely having him about this afternoon. I just heard him mention the garden is waiting for us to soak up some warmth. 
So I am off for some sun...........ah summer.
Bye







No comments:

Post a Comment