Monday, June 6, 2011

ZO'S LITTLE ADVENTURE


Posted by PicasaFamily, friends, food and one big dog! 
I still feel tired from driving, seriously. I suppose the older you get the harder it is on you. On the interstate you have to be constantly aware. It is always so busy it seems.
I went to my brothers first in Kalama WA. What a sweet man he is. He always has a bottle of my favorite wine sitting on the table. His bar is loaded with healthy snacks and breakfast things I like. This time he even had a bottle of Bailey's cream for me to add to my coffee.
He took me out to lunch to the little Chinese restaurant there in his little berg. The food is good as long as you stay away from the deep fried items. We both had vegetable lo mien and fried rice with bbq'd pork. Nummy. Of course it is enough to eat on for three days. The very first time we went there a few years ago we did a silly thing and ordered off the dinner menu. When the food arrived and they set that big platter of piled high food in front of me Jack said all he could see was the top of my head. He still talks about that it must have been quite something.
Later we sat on the his big deck and watched the sun go down. The weather was mild and nice. The photo's I posted are pictures I took from the deck. 
Brother has a huge fir tree in front of his second story deck. This tree sparks many a conversation as to whether it should be removed or limbed or left alone. If the tree were not there he would have a lovely view of the river. The way it is now it is a peekaboo view. However the tree gives him shade in summer and gives privacy throughout the year. So we always have the discussion.


This little trip also gave me the opportunity to have a lovely visit with my long time friend Judy.
It was so wonderful seeing her and chatting for a hour or so. It has been way to long since our last visit. Although we communicate via the e-mail it is so nice to be in each others company.
She is still as she always was. Sweet, cute and bubbly. I fear I talked too much I hope I let her say a few things!
I wish I could say our lunch was lovely as well. Sorry I cannot lie it was not good. This is an establishment that I have been going to for over thirty years when I visit that area. They have been known for their halibut fish and chips for as long as I can remember. It was always good though the beer batter at times would be a little to thick but that was overlooked as the fish inside was a big tender juicy mouthful cooked to perfection. Well sadly that has not been the case the past two times I have eaten there. I was served two rather small pieces of fish with greasy limp crust which I peeled off with my fork. Inside was overcooked mealy bland tasting halibut. I was hungry so I dipped the crustless pieces into the tarter sauce and ate them but it was disappointing to say the least. I will not eat there again. The good company however certainly made up for the meal.


Then the end of my little adventure was spent at my son's home out in the country behind Oregon City across the road from his house the Clackamas river flows.
He was anxious for my arrival and I got there early so we would have as much time as possible. We sat in chairs in the front yard in the sun and chatted and caught up.  I then went into the back yard to play with his big dog Bruin. Oh how that dogs loves me. I am his Grandma of course!  When I first got there I went into the house and my son and I were talking and Bruin heard us. He started whimpering, wanting to see me. I went into the bathroom, the window was open  and there he was below the window talking to me. Too cute!
He loves for me to brush him. He just sprawls on his back and moans. My son says Mom you are turning into a dog lover but I am not believe me. It is just that this dog grabbed my heart when I first saw him. A tiny black furry ball with the cutest little face and he just loved me. So I guess a bond was formed. 
So the entire day was spent in the sun and warmth on a summer like day. How heavenly is that? Later in the early evening my son started the briquettes and he made very delicious turkey burgers with the works. We were hungry and we were humming.
I felt sad the next morning leaving. Bru was behind the chain link fence. He had watched us load my car and he started the whimpering again. He was sad. When Mike called me later after I arrived home he said he went out to the patio after I left and Bruin was just laying there seemingly depressed he would not get up. Odd how they are isn't it?
The drive home only two hours door step to door step but it felt like I had been gone a long time as I was tried. No matter how I love to go it is wonderful to get home.
Hubby had the lawns mowed and all was weeded and he was cleaning and hosing the deck when I arrived. All I did was eat, shower and crash. He even had dinner partially made.


So that was my little adventure. 


We are having beer can chicken this weekend. I will post photo's of that however I have blogged about beer can chicken previously. We love it and it is an event when we make it so we like to make it frequently as well as under the brick grilled chicken. I think I will pick up some corn on the cob and grill that also with lime butter and make a big salad of greens with a simple dressing. I am craving greens.


Have a nice Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment