Sunday, June 26, 2011

THOUGTHS AND TIPS BY ZO as the garden grows.


Posted by PicasaWhile we were sitting in the garden yesterday afternoon I was jotting down some kitchen and cooking tips. Always good to have short cuts and tips from someone else. Of course any cook always has her own.


So here goes:
On entertaining.
Always be organized!!!! first and foremost.
Do your food prep as far in advance as possible even the day before if it will hold or store that long.
Have your table set and ready to go right down to the last detail. Always use cloth napkins and unless you are serving a hundred folks no paper plates. Not a fave of any one's. I love to mix and match plates and flatware. It is fun and festive. If you are setting up a buffet be inventive. Use vases, tin cans, old jars etc to stick the silverware and napkins in. Also tuck in fresh cut flowers in the same type of containers and if you have the room mingle several of them in with the food. Set out varying size plates big, medium and small for kids or tiny appetites. Use a variety of colors shapes and sizes. Make sure when you set the food out that it is in the order. For instance, salad or soup first, then entree and sides and then bread and condiments etc and finally desert. You would think this is a no brainer but believe me I have been to buffets where nothing is in order you miss things and it is confusing.
All the chopping, dicing, slicing should be done ahead and put into the fridge in zip locks or containers so they are ready to go when you need them.
Make sure your dishwasher is empty.
Do all your house hold chores way ahead. On the day of the event there is no time for housekeeping. You want to spend your time making your guests happy and looking great and feeling relaxed.
If serving drinks have your bar set up ahead. All glasses sparkling and ready to be filled.


Easy starters.
Bruchetta is always good. I drizzle olive both sides and broil both sides till crispy. Then I rub cut halves of garlic cloves on the toasts, a sprinkle of kosher salt and then add finely grated hard cheese like Romano,  Parmesan or asiago and let melt. Another good idea when you have  wonderful fresh tomatoes from your garden, rub a half of tomato over the garlic on the toast, it turns a pretty pink color and is very tasty. There are hundreds of options. The other night I used olive oil, garlic, asiago and fresh flat leaf parsley finely chopped. Nummy.
I like to set out divided trays of mixed olives, cheeses, nuts, peppers, pickles, nuts, crackers. Trader Joe's multigrain and flax seed crackers are wonderful and only a dollar box, a steal.


I find that wine and beer are the easiest to deal with if you are providing the alcohol.  I like to have a nice variety of white wine on hand and some club soda if some folks care for spritzers. I always have a jammy red wine and a lighter red for later in the evening especially if I am serving a desert with chocolate. Remember to put more reasonable wines in cute pitchers or carafes it helps them breathe as well and no one knows it came from a jug or a box!
When grilling be organized I cannot say it enough. I have a big tray and all I need is on it sitting right by the grill. No running back into the kitchen for necessary items.
Also make a sandwich sauce to spread on the buns. It is easier and takes up less room than individual condiments.
I blogged recently about a sauce I make with all that is normally used on a burger. If someone is a purist and for instance likes mustard only you can always grab the jar out of the fridge. Just put out the mixed sauce and most folks will just spread it on as it is what is offered.
When I make potatoes whether boiled, baked or whatever I always make extra. So breakfast in the morning for hubby is a snap. Just dice or slice up the potatoes and fry with eggs and whatever.
Hubby likes to pick up those small beer kegs for entertaining. You know the ones you get in the grocery stores? They are fun and kind of a man thing.
We do martini's sometimes. Hubby once again takes these on. We have two shakers which is a must when you are entertaining. We like pomegranate martini's and also dirty martini's. Buy the best vodka you can afford it does make a difference. Make sure your ice bin is full and have your cocktail picks and whatever tid bits you are putting on them ready to roll.


About shortcuts or enhancements.
I always try to go for tasty first and simple second when entertaining. I do not want to be slaving away in the kitchen while everyone else is having a fun.
Whatever your menu here are some little shortcuts that save time and taste good as well.
I keep packaged gravy mix on hand. Yes I know packaged mix but I add my drippings from whatever into a skillet add the gravy mix instead of flour and stir to make a paste and then add water(potato water is best if boiling potatoes.) Stir away, mmmm good flavor and easy.
Also packaged Italian salad dressing mix is a time saver make according to directions but also add fresh herbs and garlic and Parmesan cheese yummy what a difference. I always have Italian dressing mix on hand such a good marinade on so many things and easy.
I use panko crumbs for everything. It is my mainstay in the crumb world.
I love to add brown sugar and balsamic vinegar to my tomato based sauces like swiss steak sauce for instance. Anything that is a little to acidic a tad of brown sugar takes that right out and adds good flavor. A quick topping for meatloaf of any kind is a mixture of ketchup, Worcestershire, horseradish,brown sugar and balsamic vinegar and pepper to taste. This is a tangy sauce with a nice rich glaze.
Use top roman noodles in a variety of things, salads, soups, noodle bowls, they are small and crunchy. I throw away the seasoning packets, use what you like for seasonings. A fave lunch of mine is my cooked ramon noodles, with scallions, spinach and a shot of Braggs amino acids. Too yummy. Just add the fresh spinach to the noodles while cooking in the water and sprinkle the scallions on top after you bowl it. What you have is a lovey noodle soup. Braggs is a soy based product which is good for you and taste better than soy sauce and it is not so salty. You can buy it in the health food section of your grocery store. Also use it in soups, stews gravies.
I use a lot of polenta in recipes. The rolls are very convenient you can slice and bake it, fry it, or mash it. Instant polenta is easy also not as much stirring as regular polenta. No need to refrigerate the rolls they store on the pantry shelf.
My corn muffins are made with Jiffy cornbread mix but I cut down on the liquid a bit and add cottage, yes cottage cheese. Makes the texture wonderful and gives it a tang. Also you can add a bit of cheese or scallions or jalenpeno slices or whatever, use your imagination.
If you do not own one of the Cake Dr's cookbooks. Go buy one. These are good cakes started with a mix. You would never know they are not from scratch in fact my banana cake is always requested by family for celebrations. I make according to the cook book directions and it is yummy, but I make the frosting always from scratch and a perfect frosting for this cake, is cream cheese frosting with a sprinkling of chopped mixed nuts. I dollop the frosting on the cake and then use a butter knife or the flat side of a soup spoon to make interesting patterns in the frosting. Always put strips of wax paper between the bottom layer and the plate. Just tuck under a little so you can easily pull it out. There is no mess on the plate that way. I decorate cakes with fresh flowers and a lot or other things that are unusual, use your imagination. Of course there is nothing better than a from scratch cake and I have plenty of favorites that I make from time to time. Here again make your deserts a day ahead of your party. 
When making apple pie use gravenstein apples if possible. They make the juiciest pies ever. When this pie is baking is like going back to childhood for me. My Mom's fave cooking apple. If not available buy the freshest juiciest apples available.
A good way to make lemonade is muddle some fresh mint in the bottom of a glass and pour your homemade lemonade over with ice add a mint leaf to float on top. You can also do the same with club soda, add lemon wedges, grapes, melons wedges, pineapple or mint fill with ice, same with ice tea These are perfect summer time drinks. When I make lemonade I use fresh squeezed lemons and add simple syrup. Simple syrup is nothing more than equal parts of sugar and water brought to boil so the sugar dissolves. Let cool and use.


I have many more ideas and thoughts to be saved for another time.
I know I am stickler for organization but truly you do not know how many times  I been invited to someones home and everything is just chaos. Nothing prepared in advance, the table or buffet not set and the dinner that was to be served at seven is now being served at nine. All could be easily prevented by being ORGANIZED AHEAD OF TIME.


Enough of my thoughts at this point you are probably sick of them!
Till later.









No comments:

Post a Comment