Sunday, September 23, 2012

PLUM CAKE DESERT


Posted by PicasaThis is a very tasty desert. This time of year here in the valley many yards are full of plums or italian prunes. You can use either in this recipe. I used the prunes. 
Where I grew up we had many of these prune trees. Mom could barely keep up with making jam and canning them and whatever else she did with them. We also ate reams of them fresh off the tree or after they fell to the ground. I love them!

Here is the recipe if you care to try it. It looks like it has a lot of cake in comparison to the plums but it is a good ratio. The cake is not sweet and the tart prunes or plums makes for the perfect bite with a dab of sweet whipped cream.

2 cups fresh tart plums or prunes
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup (1 cube of butter softened)
1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp sugar mixed with cinnamon

Arrange the halved and pitted fresh plums in the bottom of a greased baking pan (7x11 inches or a 9 inch square) Sprinkle with 1/4 cup sugar.
In a bowl, cream together thoroughly the butter, lemon juice and 1 cup sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each is added. Sift flour, measure and sift into bowl with baking powder, salt and a 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Stir until well blended. Spoon batter over plums. Sprinkle the top with sugar and cinnamon mixture.

Bake in a moderately hot 375 degree oven about 45 minutes or until the cake pulls away from sides of pan. Serve warm or cool with sour cream or whipped cream.  All I can say is enjoy this is a good tasty tart/ sweet treat!
A note here, my fave whipped cream to make is heavy whipping cream with a little powered sugar and a teaspoon of pure vanilla added. The powered sugar gives the whipping cream a heartier depth. It looks like piled up snow!

It is a lovely autumn day here today perfect. We have the have the doors open the air is fall fresh but has warmth the sky is a combination of clouds and sun. We had a little rain last night as the streets were wet this morning when when crawled out of our nest.

As we live here in Oregon and the U of O played Arizona last night here in Eugene in pac 12 football, it was a fun filled evening. We spanked Arizona as they say. They had zip at the end of the game and the Ducks had a whopping 49!
I will say the first half of the game we were wondering if our Ducks were waddling in a muddle of muck. But after the first half they gained momentum and their feathers were flying and the game was on!
We really do dislike late evening games however. The game did not start until 7:30. So we had already had our dinner by then and were feeling full and tired and the game had yet to start. So for the rest of the evening for myself and hubby's sis Liz who was watching with us it was an effort to be exuberant fans as we sprawled on the sofas lost in food bliss. But all is good that ends well!

Well I need to accomplish a few things today even though it is Sunday. So far after getting up this morning all I have done is read the paper, drink my coffee and clean up the kitchen after hubby made his own breakfast. I was going to make us a delightful breakfast late morning but my husband could not wait. So the plan was changed. I cannot eat when I first get up. My plan was for buttermilk scratch pancakes with pure maple syrup, thick sliced bacon and a side of my chunky homemade applesauce. But alas not today. My husband made himself a bacon, egg and tomato sandwich on sourdough with jack cheese.
I just had a small piece of the plum cake with a tad of whipping cream. It filled my tummy and was yummy.

So I am out of here now to enjoy my day. I have much planned and I so love Sunday's I do not want to miss more minutes of the day.
Enjoy yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment