Friday, September 14, 2012

TOMATOES READY FOR ROASTING


Posted by PicasaThis is a scant roaster full of heirloom tomatoes. Usually when I make a batch the tomatoes are tightly packed in.  This amount will make one quart.
The tomatoes were over ripe so I had to do something with them quickly. Hubby said, what about pasta sauce.......hello! So tonight we will dine on spaghetti and roasted tomato sauce with garlic and peppers. It will make for a tasty meal.
I have a crusty artisan bread that will be divine for dipping into that rich red sauce. Hubby stated this morning he also wants a mixed green salad with Parmesan and garlic Italian dressing. So tonight it is Italiano night. Perhaps I will pull out the red and white check table cloth and open a nice bottle of wine.

It is a stellar day here in the Willamette Valley. No smokey skies today that makes me happy. Yesterday the skies were a bit hazy and you could smell the smoke even indoors. The fire is burning in the Three Sisters Wilderness area and smoke was drifting west across the mountains yesterday. 
So today I will do what I was intending to do yesterday, work outdoors. The deck is a mess. Time to scrub everything out there. Table, chairs, spa, umbrella and the rusty red decking itself.
All of the flowers and herbs are now acquiring that leggy and faded look they get at summers end. So they also need my attention. 
Today also will bring a hot apple pie out of the oven. The apples are in abundance now at the farms. I picked up some gravenstein apples. Enough for a generous deep dish pie and also a couple quarts of applesauce. These apples make the best pies and sauce.
We had one of these apple trees where I grew up. My Mother made quarts upon quarts of applesauce from those apples. At the end of season when the very highest apples in the tree dropped to the ground it made the cows very happy indeed.
They would cluster around the tree, chomping away as apple juice poured from their mouths.

Well seems the morning is slipping away as it sometimes does when I am on the computer.
I had better get on with my daily to-do's and then onto the extra things I have planned for the day.
My husband was laughing at me this morning. I read him my list of things to accomplish today. Yes I do a make a list each day. Not because I will not remember that is not the point. The point is I like to cross off each chore that I have accomplished. I am very happy with myself when all is checked off. Then it has been a productive day!

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment