Thursday, September 27, 2012

TREE GOING DOWN, DOWN DOWN


Posted by PicasaWhat a mess our back area is. Hubby had to  take our corkscrew willow down. The wind last winter played havoc with it and part of it broke off. So we topped it in the spring but then realized it had grown so tall this year and was spindly at the top. So he took it down yesterday and will leave the stumps. There are two that will not die but produce new leaves and growth that we will keep trimmed down into a round shape. There will be a perfect crevice for a bird or squirrel feeder. So all will be much better.
That hedge that you see in the photo will be trimmed down a couple of feet tomorrow also. It grows so fast that it just overwhelms us. As I have mentioned before this area is a non-stop growing zone!

We are going out to our wine country Friday and will have lunch at King Estate Winery. That will be a treat as the day is to be low seventies and sun. So it will be warm with deep blue skies. I am looking forward to the lunch I checked their lunch menu out and I already know what I am having. However I may change my mind! The food there is incredible. Not to be missed if you are in the area.

I thought I may be headed to WA to see my dear brother for a few days. However he is having a bout of gout at this time(no pun intended). So not good timing. Maybe he will be better in a few days.

This weather is absolutely gorgeous. I cannot say it enough,  it is my favorite time of year. Have I mentioned it is my favorite time of year?
What is not to like. The leaves on the trees at this moment are slowly subtly changing, a few are starting to drop, most are still green. The skies are that deep blue of the Mediterranean and there are no clouds. No breeze, just pure clean air and so fresh with the taste of fall. Lovely!

This is what I made last night with the rest of the prunes. What a lovely desert. A plum or in this case a Italian prune galette. So simple to make and so tasty. We did not even add ice cream or whip cream. I just cut wedges and we ate it by hand.

Recipe. 
Plum or Italian prune galette.
seven italian prunes, pitted and sliced
3 tbsp sugar
1 egg
cinnamon sugar to sprinkle
1 homemade pie crust or 1 Pillsbury pie crust.

If using a ready made crust, roll out just a little more after you unfold it.
Set it on a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet.
Starting about five inches in lay the sliced prunes in a semi circle slightly overlapping them skin side up. In the center fill in the rest of the prunes.
Now bring the crust up in portions do so all around until it looks like the above photo.
Mix the egg well and using a pasty brush gently spread on lightly the beaten egg. Then lightly sprinkle the entire top with sugar cinnamon.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 40-45 minutes until nicely browned and bubbling.
Tasty, fast and easy.


Hubby is still busy doing yard work. Today he is loping off trees and cutting shrubs. Then we will clean all up and we are done! This has went on for days. We have purchased in the past few days a chain saw, hedger and a power drill. Enough already!  Of course the drill was to hang the new wood blinds in the living room and dining room. We are so enchanted with them we have now ordered them for the office as well. So we certainly have been doing some projects. Next week I am painting our master bath. It needs it so I am going to use a color called canyon walls. It should look smashing with our caramel colored tiled counter and floors. 

Well I must get to my walk it is late in the day for me to walk but I was grocery shopping this morning. 
Have a lovely autumn day, have I told you how much I love fall? 




No comments:

Post a Comment