Saturday, March 17, 2012

CAMPFIRE AT THE BEACH


Posted by PicasaHere I am at Yachat's. That is between Florence and Waldport on the central Oregon coast. It is nice in Oregon that you can build a campfire on the beach. I so remember when I was young and my family and I would go to Seaside and Cannon Beach and build huge bonfires on the beach. Mom packed hot dogs and marshmallows of course. The kids all loved it. Seems there were always friends of our family that went along as usually there was quite group. We would share a cabin and go clamming and beach combing. One time my little brother Jimmy stuck is his big toe in the campfire, I suppose to see how it felt. The rest of the trip rest he never went remotely near the fire. Mom wrapped his toe in a big a gauze bandage I have pictures. Another time my dad and his friend had a few too many drinks and were feeling their oats as they say. They grabbed my Mother and pulled her jeans off and she screamed like a banshee as they carried her to the ocean waded out and threw in her in. Do you know how cold the Pacific ocean is? Can you see what kind of times we had? Well for us kids it was a great time always to be remembered and reconstructed in our adult life.
However I have never been thrown into the ocean only pulled in.


Our next trip to the beach will be next month we are thinking Newport have not been there for quite some time. I am researching now via the net places right on the beach to stay. We like Newport as there is much to do with the Waterfront area and the amazing aquarium. So plans and more plans.


Today is a mixed bag of weather so far though it is still early.
I heard the rain thundering on the roof last night, since we have had showers, sun, rain, showers, sun, dark clouds and so it goes. Another day of winter with spring trying to peek through and she is having a hard time believe me.


I feel like doing something today but what? That is always the question. Maybe I will come up with something it is St. Patty's day so we are having Reuben sammies tonight with fries. Not to inventive but what can I say?  I am no fan of corn beef in it's natural state. I was going to pick one up at the store this week but seeing that big hunk of raw red meat floating in that bag of blood, well it left me feeling nauseated. So Reuben sandwiches it is! I will heat sauerkraut and make thousand island dressing.  I bought some good quality marbled rye bread and some Swiss cheese. 
Last night we had steak in the cast iron skillet I have that down perfect. After I removed the steak from the skillet I topped it with Gorgonzola butter and covered with foil and let the steak sit the optimal time of ten minutes. When I sliced the sirloin steak across the grain it was cooked perfect and so juicy, tender and flavorful. We have not had beef for quite some time and we were hungry for a good steak.


Well here I sit in my sweats and slippers I am ashamed of that fact as it is almost eleven. So I must get into the shower and dress for the day.
Have a nice weekend.
Happy St. Patty's day!

No comments:

Post a Comment