Sunday, March 25, 2012

MIKES BIG DOG BRUIN


Posted by PicasaThis is one big dog! Bru as he is called looked just a little black bear cub when he was a puppy. Now that he is grown he looks like a big black bear. 
I was visiting on the phone with my son yesterday and we were talking about Bru. Seems Bru is quite protective of his own things such as, food bowls, toys, his blankie and pillows etc. This may not be a good thing in such a large strong dog. I know as much as he loves his grammy (me) I would not want to interfere with those items. Yesterday Mike had just given Bru a doggie biscuit to chew on while we talked. I said I want to say hello to Bru,  I talk baby talk to him as disgusting as that may seem but I have done that since he was a puppy. Mike put the phone to Bru's ear and got so excited he dropped his dog biscuit and tried to get the phone. Mike said, amazing he never lets go a dog biscuit.  So I guess I am still in Bru's heart. Good thing.


Today is a grayish day. I put it that way because at times it goes from light gray to dark gray but not one slit of blue in the sky. Grim is what it is called.
It is not cold though nor is it windy so I will more than likely walk a little later if the predicted showers do not come in.
As it is Sunday today my favorite day of the week I have been self indulgent this morning. I took my time muddling through the paper, same ol, same ol. The comic's were fun I always enjoy Stone Soup the creator of Stone Soup Jan Elliot lives here in Eugene. Also I like Pickles as I suppose I relate to that due to my age. So with the paper set aside I was on to the internet checking e-mails and glancing at FB. Then on to whatever house chores I needed to do. I usually do not take on a project on Sunday but today I am going to do that as hubby is working so I may as well be productive too.
I have a good size project this afternoon going through paperwork that is years old but that I have kept for whatever reason. So time to get things into the shredder. When I tackle something like this that has been lingering in the shadows of my mind to do for years it always gives me lift. A needed chore completed, erased from my procrastination list. Yes I have such a list as sad as that may seem. If I can put off until tomorrow......well that is usually my mode of operation. 


Tomorrow night for dinner I am going to making brussel sprouts and sausage soup. This is a new to me recipe I took out of Sunset magazine. It looks very tasty and we have hubby's smoked sausage in the freezer so that works it also has red potatoes and some flavorful seasonings. I will take a photo and give you review tomorrow on how it tasted and if it is worth making again. I can usually tell by the ingredients if something is going to be tasty and this appears it will be just that.


Today is the 28th anniversary of my Father's death. He passed away two months shy of his 80th birthday. I find it hard to believe that it has been that long. Time has a strange way of playing tricks on the mind.
My father was quite a character. He was entertaining, a story teller of great magnitude, he loved traveling, reading, tinkering in his garage, inventing, writing,  camping,  teasing and joking. This man always worked hard for his family until his health started to fail. I cannot even begin to go into the health issues he had, lets just say they went on for years until he had nearly nothing left to savor in life at all. This is person that lived out he last ten plus years of his life with one leg the other amputated at the top of his thigh. This is man that never whinnied or said poor me, or why did this happen to me. He dealt with it without complaint as there was no other choice in his mind. Within a couple months after his surgery he was back in his garage welding, tinkering doing as he always had. He made his benches lower so he could sit on his walker and work. He attached wheels to everything he could so he could move things about more effectively. With his riding lawn mower towing a trailer he hauled wood to the house and groceries from the car. My father had a lot of grit. He grew up working hard with little pleasure in his young life. He did not even finish grade school as he had to work on his uncles huge farm to help the family out.  However he was one of the smartest men I knew as he was a compulsive reader, he would read everything at hand. Whatever questions I had my Dad could answer them. He was also good at math, science and many things. He was self taught and reading was the one thing he continued to enjoy till the very end of his life.
So today as you have surmised I am thinking of my Father and what he brought to my life. I have his grit and fortitude, his love of travel, good books, storytelling and writing. So through his genes I have been passed many of his good qualities. Thank you Dad.


I find I enjoy reminiscing; to pull out those memories and dust off the edges so they are bright and fresh.  Everyone that has been a part of our lives has given us a gift in one way or another and to take note of that sometimes is a good thing.



No comments:

Post a Comment