Wednesday, March 14, 2012

PLUM TREES


Posted by PicasaHere they are in all their glory. Luckily the blossoms hung tight in the wind storm. The day is not nice though to take a walk and I would love to be surrounded by all this pink. It is cool and showery for the most part and the showers come every few minutes.


I was out and about late morning for grocery shopping and errands. I was very happy that it did not take long as I so wanted to be home in my cozy house.
I am not cooking dinner tonight. I do love a reprieve at times. Though working in the kitchen does give me much pleasure there are days like today that I like to skip prep work, cooking and kitchen duty. So what are we having this evening? Seriously, pizza. I picked up a pizza that is ready to eat, but we like to do this, we heat the oven to 350 and heat the pizza on an air bake pizza pan for fifteen minutes and it is just like new. Crispy crust melted cheese and hot. 


I am sitting here sipping a hot cup of tea. This is something I am going to do more of. Hubby is a tea drinker but I usually have my two cups of robust coffee in the Am and that is it for the day. But I think a hot cup of tea in the afternoon would be nice and keep my energy going. I suppose I take it like the English with a bit of cream(half and half) in my case.
My grandmothers heritage is English and much of her family lives in British Columbia. When I was living with my parents we would visit my Grandmother's family quite frequently. 
I do so remember a huge stately house with a pool and lovely grounds. I was quite impressed being the little farm girl from Oregon that I was. Grandmothers family would gather all the relatives together for food, drink and much music making. Everyone played an instrument or several. I was right at home with that as I would play at the piano or plunk on a banjo. It was a grand time.
What I remember most pertained to food and breakfast it seems. The kitchen was huge, high white cupboards filled with sparkling glassware and dishes in colorful patterns. The flooring was black and white tiles. And I my Mom and I loved the pale yellow walls it always seemed sunny even when it was not.
The table was large and in the kitchen itself and set elegantly. There were many place setting of silverware I was not sure which cutlery I was suppose to use so I would watch what others did. What stands out most in my mind is the egg cups. Each different and appeared hand painted. It was  very exciting for me to have my own egg in a  egg cup of my own. My Grandmother showed me how to tap then cut the shell so you could dip into that wonderful soft boiled egg. There were several pitchers filled with various juices and pots of coffee and tea. There were so many items prepared for breakfast I never knew what to choose. 
In the afternoon it was tea time a celebration with lovely  sweet treats and breads, little sandwiches with the crusts removed and cut into triangles, delicate tea pots and  fragile cups. I was in awe.
So I will once again have tea in the afternoon but I do believe I will forgo the formality and the treats. I could see that becoming a problem.


On those sweet memories I will close and settle myself in my chair and read. I am reading the last chapter of  The Atonement. Maybe you remember the movie several years ago. The book was a good read.
Off I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment