Saturday, March 24, 2012

WOK FOOD FUN TO MAKE


Posted by PicasaLast night I made dinner in the wok. My wok is so old, lets see I think I got in 1980. So it well seasoned and perfectly black as it should be.
We like to use the wok about once a month for Asian food.  Last night I made chicken chow mien. Always a favorite of ours. I served it over rice but sometimes we serve it up over angel hair noodles or soba noodles or rice noodles, whatever you feel you would like. You can either thicken it with cornstarch and chicken broth or just serve the crispy mix of veggies and meat if using over rice or by itself. Always a pleasure to eat and so good for you.
So tonight we are having or I should say I am having leftovers. Hubby is working late so he will not be eating with me.


Here is what I do to make this chow mien.
I grab my biggest bowl from the cupboard and fill it with an assortment of vegetables. I have good knife skills and I think that is important in this type of cooking. I cut the veggies on a diagonal all the same size and thickness. of course some will cook faster than others like the carrots, celery etc. But you want some crunch with your variety and uniform cuts look so pretty. If using chicken or pork or beef I cube it and lightly salt and pepper then I cook in the wok with a little oil and remove and sit to the side then add the veggies right to that oil adding more oil as needed. The meat flavor gives the veggies a yummy taste. 
My fave vegetables to use are: carrots, celery, nappa cabbage, onion, shallots, bean sprouts, pea pods, sweet peppers, bok choy. Anyhow you get the idea. If you like mushrooms they are good and also leeks in place of onions. Dump all veggies into the hot wok and stir fry till the hardest veggies are semi tender. At this point add the meat back in to heat. Here you can either carry on to make a chow mien sauce or serve straight up as I call it. If making a sauce just take a can of chicken broth add it to the wok reserving about a 1/4 cup. In the 1/4 cup add about three tablespoons of cornstarch and a tad of soy sauce  mix well in the cup and slowly pour into the chow mien and stir and heat until the mixture thickens. 
Serve over the above mentioned. That is all there is to it. It is not complicated but does take time. It usually takes me over an hour of prep work because of the slicing. I find it very therapeutic however. I love slicing beautiful vegetables the colors so bright and contrasting.  And knowing how good they are food you is an added bonus.


It is strange after having hubby home for nearly two weeks. The house seems to quiet and lonely today. I do so crave my space but sometimes it takes me a day or so to adjust to the stillness.
I am sad to say I hardly accomplished a thing today. I had good intentions when the day first started but as the hours dwindled away so did my enthusiasm for what I wanted to accomplish. I did manage one project. So not a total bust.
Also I had two great conversations today first with my son this morning and my brother this afternoon. They both called me and even though I was in the middle of chores or in the middle of my intentions I was happy to chat a bit. I love them both so dearly and we always have such good visits.
I have learned there is nothing more important than taking time for those you love. I have been selfish at times in the past, wanting to talk at my own convenience but what really cannot wait? Of course if I am in the middle of making a meal or doing something that needs my immediate attention that is different. One thing I know when someone is not of this earth any longer there are no second opportunities for conversations. There should be nothing more important that those people we love and care for in our lives.


I believe I am going to close now and do one more little project before the evening takes me over.
By for now.











No comments:

Post a Comment