Tuesday, February 12, 2013

THE RIVER


Posted by PicasaSometimes I long for the river. Summers spent on sandy beaches throughout my young years are rooted as deeply as a tree in my mind. Even as a child I would find myself drawn to seeking out treasures on the beach. Pieces of colored glass with edges worn smooth, bottles, bit of this and that and especially driftwood. Those gnarled pieces of wood turned silvery white scattered about the beach were a magnet for me and still are. When I lived by the river it was just part of my life I never gave it a significant thought. But now that I do not have it I sorely miss it.
When I go to my brothers in Kalama in Washington state we always go to river because he is like me. What was in your childhood is hard to dismiss. 
We have a special place that we go that requires a little four wheeling. No one is ever there it is still and quiet except for the wildlife and ship traffic. We set up a an umbrella if it is not windy with two chairs to either side and the ice chest in the middle to double as a table for our lunch. We sit and remissness about younger years spent on the beaches of the Columbia river on the Oregon side as that is where we lived.
The day slips away while we lunch and sip our drinks and scout the beach for treasures. Oh how I hate to leave as the sun starts to fade. It really is not enough to sustain me for another year until I return the next summer.

Today here in my village it is once again cloudy with a few sun breaks. I have not taken my walk yet as the street sweepers and cleaners are busy on our street. The winter grunge and debris clogs the drains and the streets are disgusting. 

On a brighter note our Sunday dinner was amazing and fun.
The flat iron steak seared to perfection then sliced and layered on a good drizzle of my own rich steak sauce was a treat for our tastebuds.

I am going to share that sauce recipe as soon as I figure the proper amounts of ingredients as I made it in my normal fashion, a splash of this and tad and pinch of that. Well you get the idea. It was a remarkable meal and we both decided we are going to make it a Sunday ritual.

Tonight in my kitchen I making 'Chicken breasts with mustard and tarragon sauce.' This is great little recipe. It does call for fresh tarragon but my dried will have to suffice as I have no fresh on hand. Hopefully I remember to take a photo tonight and will post it with the recipe tomorrow. It is not difficult to make it just takes a little time. I like to serve it with rice or couscous. My sides tonight will be brown rice and fresh cooked spinach.
Bon'appetit!


No comments:

Post a Comment