Tuesday, July 31, 2012

SUMMER BOUNTY


It is that time of year once more. This photo I took last year but all looks the same this year.
I will make a run to the farms later this week for zucchini to make relish. We usually grow zucchini's in our own garden but this year we decided to just put in tomatoes, onions and peppers. As the farms are so close and always have bushels of everything it really seemed kind of pointless to plant so many things. Of course my herb barrel is full to the brim with rosemary, thyme, parsley, cilantro and dill.
We will have a good crop of tomatoes this year as the plants are loaded. They will be late however as we had such a late spring and summer like last year.
We are enjoying the pickled veggies I made a couple of weeks ago and hubby has almost polished off his huge jar of hot pickles.

It is another stellar day here in the Willamette Valley. We woke to bright sun this morning and the sky is cobalt. The various green trees look like paintings against the deep blue of the sky. It stirs memories of when I dabbled in oil painting. I was always looking for patterns, shadows and highlights when observing natures bounty.

Here is the recipe for the most delicious zucchini you will ever make or taste bar none! Trust me on this.

Zucchini Relish
5 cups of zucchini squash
2 cups of onions
2 tablespoons salt(I use kosher salt)
2 or more red and green peppers

Chop vegetables or put in a coarse grater.(I grated the zucchini and diced the peppers and onion) Put in a large bowl Add salt and let stand overnight. Rinse in cold water. Drain.
Put into a kettle and add.
1/2 quart vinegar
1/2 cup water
1 cup sugar
1/2 tablespoon nutmeg
1/2 tablespoon turmeric
1 tablespoon celery seed
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Cook 30 minutes. Seal in sterilized jars(I use pint size) No processing is necessary according the original recipe. But USDA guidelines indicate that the relish should be processed in a boiling water bath canner for ten minutes.(I do this procedure)

Now feel free to double this recipe if you want to make more than this amount which is approximately four pints. I prefer to make it up twice and deal with a smaller batches.

This relish will far surpass any cucumber relish you have ever tasted!

Well as they say "that's all folks".  At least for the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment