Friday, November 9, 2012

FIRST OUTDOOR FIRE OF THE SEASON


Posted by PicasaOur first outdoor fire of the season.
We had our Mexican lunch date Wednesday came home and hubby watched a movie and I read for a while. As it turns dark so early hubby said there are stars and it is cold so how about a fire tonight? So that is what we did. The wood that we burned was amazing it was dried seasoned wood from a corkscrew willow. It burned so clean no smoke and had a mild fragrant smell. So we spent a couple of hours on the deck under the stars staring at the fire and staying cozy and warm. Actually I came in before my husband he loves a fire so he lingered until the last embers died. We are planning on having one Thanksgiving evening if the weather cooperates. 

So today I am off shorty for a little shopping at the Dollar Tree. It is fun to go there and I get a lot of my cleaning supplies there. Then I am off to the fish market for cod. We love cod fish and chips and this is very good cod when it comes on sale we buy it. So tonight fish and a big green salad. 
Last night the meal sure was fitting. It was a showery black wet night and we were snuggled in with bowls of steak stew  and rolls. 
In a few days I am going to make navy beans and ham. I love to make home made cheesy corn muffins and plop one in a deep bowl and ladle on those good beans and ham.

I am back from my shopping earlier.
I spent a lot of $$$ yesterday and today for our groceries and staples. The prices are high and we like to eat well and when things are on sale I stock up. So the freezer is stuffed and the pantry is full no room to spare. It is a good feeling knowing we are stocked.

What a crazy day the weather is today.  As I was driving home about an hour ago bruised looking clouds were turning black and threatening. Then rain drops the size of dimes started dancing on the windshield.  I was happy to pull into the garage and just in time. The deluge lasted less than five minutes and washed the streets clean and stripped more leaves from the trees.  Soon I will hear the rattle of bare branches in the wind and it will be so until the buds start to appear in early spring.

I am now going to put together a Thanksgiving basket to sit by the front door. It will not be fancy just filled with gourds and faux leaves in fall colors. I still have the pumpkins on the steps and hopefully they will they will hold until after Thanksgiving.

As I am not posting a recipe how about a tip before I leave you?
When making gravy without stock you can use your potato water. Drain the potatoes and save the water. Use Shilling's powered gravy mix and the potato water. If you have some drippings add that also to the sauce pan. You can also add a spoonful of sour cream for a German style gravy or if making a brown gravy add a splash of red wine for depth and added flavor. I always have gravy mixes on hand and use them also in soups and stews in the slow cooker. Just make according to directions and add to the soup or stew the last half hour and stir well.  Makes a wonderful sauce.
I cheat on gravy quite frequently and no one knows.....but now you do.
Well I am off to decorate my fall basket. 

Note* So here we go again the font size changed while I was typing this post. I am going to address this issue but what to do? It is really starting to irritate me. So bear with me, I know it looks weird hopefully I can solve the problem.


No comments:

Post a Comment