Thursday, November 29, 2012

NEW ENGLAND CLAM CHOWDER RECIPE

I want to say rain, rain go away but it is to soon. The rainy season has just come about. So I must be patient and as you know that is not my best trait.
Today was grocery shopping day. I went early as usual and I suppose I lucked out. Not torrential rainfall  but wind and showers.
I looked quite odd I think. A black rain jacket, a black floppy looking rain hat, works well but oh so ugly and well needed black waterproof boots.  Of course I needed windshield wipers for my glasses. They were so water spotted when I went through Freddy's door I could not really see and ran right into a grocery cart, well it worked out as I needed one!
So once again the groceries are bought for another week. Why do things cost so much? Seems each week it gets more expensive at the grocery stores.

Tonight we dine on homemade clam chowder. I really like this chowder recipe it is rich, thick and buttery with bacon. What's not to like? I will make my cheesy biscuits to go with. I really desire a grilled cheese sammie with clam chowder, but hubby gets so tired of sandwiches. As he takes his lunch most days that is his usual fare.

On the menu this week is a beautiful boneless rib roast, roasted with yukon gold potatoes and carrots and onions, shrimp and leek linguine, bone in pork chops with fried rice and sauteed veggies, polenta and sausage bake with marinara sauce and chicken noodle soup. So a good variety I feel.

I should start putting up a little Christmas decor as it is that time. But I like the fall decoration in the house something about it is so cozy and inviting so I may let that linger a few more days.
The streets were cleaned this morning early of rotting, matting, leaves. Oh they look so much nicer even on this dull day.

I am now going to share my clam chowder recipe with you. We love it.

Creamy and thick New England clam chowder
6-7 pieces bacon cut into small pieces
1 medium onion chopped
2 five ounce cans of baby clams with juice reserved
6-7 potatoes peeled and cubed
2  10 1/2 ounce cans of cream of celery soup
(don't scoff this what makes this soup so yummy)
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon dried dill weed

Add bacon to your soup pot and cook on medium heat until crispy.
Add onion and cook till translucent
Add clam juice from both cans
Add potatoes
Cover and cook until potatoes are fork tender about twenty minutes, stir occasionally so potatoes won't stick.
Add clams, soup, cream, milk and dill weed.
Stir together well
Add butter and let melt into chowder
Cook for about 30-45 minutes or until thickened. 
Stir occasionally.

I am outta here now as my chores are done for the day. Dinner is all I have left on my to-do list. I have accomplished much today so for my reward? I am sure you already know. Into my comfy chair, with my good book and a hot cup of tea. Heaven.
Bye.





No comments:

Post a Comment