Friday, November 2, 2012

DREAMS, OH SWEET DREAMS (a song)


Posted by PicasaThis is a photo of an older woman but it is not me of course I found the image online.  But the reason I put it on my blog is that I wrote a poem a few years back regarding what you see when you are old and look into the mirror.
The poem is not about me but I can relate.  I wrote it because I was writing a silly little song but the lyric's went this direction. But then I decided yes what I wrote could possibly be relevant for a number of folks when they get older and their lives have become small. So I will share this little song I wrote.

DREAMS, OH SWEET DREAMS (a song)

When I look in the mirror what do I see?
Just an old woman staring right back at me.
What happened to the girl with the bright hazel eyes
with more dreams in her head than stars in the skies?

When closing my eyes it seems I'm the same
The wishes and hopes do they still remain?
What's been accomplished? Is there still more to do?
They say to yourself you must always be true.

But what is that truth that lingers inside?
What of those dreams have they vanished and died?
It's hard to recall what exactly they were.
Would they still be the same if they were now to occur?

Dreams are so fleeting yet they hold us so tight.
But to give them all up just doesn't seem right.
And the youngest of dreams are the sweetest to hold
For they were our future before we grew old.

So here I stand looking into that mirror
Seeking no future because the future is here.
So it's peace and contentment I ask to find
So I can cease worrying about dreams left behind.

Chorus
Dreams, oh sweet dreams 
how I do love you so.
But I'm saying good bye now to those that must go.
I'm lightening my load and letting things be
and knowing that peace is just waiting for me.

So a little sad huh? To be honest we all have had dreams and aspirations that may not come about in our lifetime but it seems the older one gets the less you care. Your life gets smaller as your body gets older. And as you advance in age you find yourself looking for simple things to give you pleasure and they do. The small things in your daily life have their rhythms and patterns and when you are an older  person routine keeps you centered.

So to my senior readers enjoy the little poem and take to heart what you must that connects and laugh at the rest. It is only a silly song after all.

Have a lovely November day after all turkey day is on it's way!
Oh my, enough of the rhymes!



No comments:

Post a Comment