Wednesday, January 16, 2013

MY MOM'S APPLE FRITTERS


Posted by PicasaThese yummy little tidbits were wonderful. I just used my Mother's old standby recipe. I ate many of these fritters throughout my young years. We finally finished them off yesterday. The recipe really makes too much for two people so from now on I will half it.

Wow! talk about cold weather. Brr and more brr.
We took a hot tub last night in freezing fog. I will say that hot water was incredible we so enjoyed that soak. We plugged in the icicle lights. It was a festive touch.

We did not go on our country drive that I had mentioned yesterday. The clouds did not lift and the same seems true for today. We are getting so weary of the gray and this stone cold. Nothing moves, just dense bone cold air in the stillness.

Our spaghetti sauce last night was once more  such a treat. Bright red sauce made with our own garden tomatoes from last summers harvest. They work out so well just roasting, slipping the skins,blending and freezing them. This batch was not seasoned in any way. It was just roasted tomato sauce.
So I added some olive oil into my red pot, tossed in some diced onion and a couple cloves of minced garlic and slowly cooked until the onion was transparent. Then I added the tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, cracked black pepper, kosher salt,dried parsley and red wine and tiny meat balls. I let all simmer for about two hours removing the lid the last twenty minutes or so it could reduce somewhat. We made bruchetta with olive oil and a little mozzarella cheese and scallions and quickly toasted it under the broiler. It made for a lovely meal with a large glass of melbec. I added a romantic touch with candlelight and red and white checkered napkins. La Dolce Vita.
As is normal I made enough for tonight. So a repeat of dinner with the addition of a mixed green salad. 
We never mix the spaghetti noodles and sauce together if we know we are having the meal again as the noodles as you probably know will swell in the sauce. That rings true with all the pasta dishes I make, unless in a casserole.

I just fixed myself a hot buttered rum. I am chilled and that will certainly warm me up.
I do love them but will not have more than one. They are very fattening and rich.

We are looking forward to Friday as our fishmonger at the fish market told us they are having fresh pacific ling cod. It will be unadvertised. There will limited amounts so hubby is going to call first to make sure it is in and go and pick us enough for two days. It is a steal at just $5.99 a pound. Friday I am going to prepare it in the black iron skillet. I will very simply salt and pepper the fillets and put into the skillet with a little butter and olive oil mix. A nice sear on one side flip to sear the other side and out of the pan fast. With a squeeze of lemon it will be perfect.
My husband is going to prepare it the next day. He wants to make cod fish sandwiches. So he will season the fillets and bread them in egg and panko and fry them crispy. I will make my home made tarter sauce which we will slather on sesame buns with shredded lettuce, a slice of tomato and onion. Sounds pretty wonderful both ways.

I am in love with my beautiful book with all things Italian. So it is time now to sip my hot buttered rum before it cools down and stick that nose of mine into my book.

Ciao




No comments:

Post a Comment