Sunday, January 20, 2013

MY MOM'S PYREX BOWLS


Posted by PicasaHere they are! 
I came by these bowls when my niece Chris  had cancer and her odd's of beating it seemed slim so she passed the bowls to me.
I had wanted them after my Mother passed but Chris asked for them so I said yes.
I am so happy she gave them to me who knows where they may have gone as Chris died not long after putting them in my hands.
These bowls have always meant much to me for various reasons. Big yellow bowl potato salad, green bowl mashed potatoes........you get the idea.
So when I brought them home I wrote a little story of how I felt about these bowls which I will share with you now.

THE BOWLS
As I looked at the bowls my heart was happy. I did not want to put them in the kitchen cabinet as I longed for the sight of them but I knew I could not keep them on my counter forever. I removed the old bowls from the shelf and replaced them with these delightful bright colored bowls that adorned the table when I was young and continued to do so through the years until Mom was cooking and baking no longer.
Today I made lemon batter for lemon bread in the bright yellow one and beat the eggs in the green one. I touched and fondled them as if they were a lover. I took such care to beat and blend by hand until all was perfect. I then washed the bowls tenderly in warm sudsy water and traced their rims with my soapy fingers. Knowing my Mother's hands had done these same tasks over and over gave me a sense of being with her in that very moment. I truly felt her presence so strongly that I was prompted to go the stereo and put on the old standards, the same songs that she would be listening to on the radio when I came through the door from school.
So my Mother and I tidied my kitchen together and swayed to the music as the aroma of lemon filled the air and our hearts danced with the bright joy of the afternoon.
Ah........it was a good day.





No comments:

Post a Comment