Friday, August 3, 2012

ISLE OF SKY MY ANCESTRY


Posted by PicasaLooks like a lovely scene so pure and simple.
This is the land of my ancestors on my fathers side. Isle of Sky.
Those days of yore however when my father's ancestors lived there it was not serene. Warring clans kept things anything but calm. 


I like to read about where my family came from, how they met one another, where their lives took them. How did they eventually meander to where I was born and what traits and abilities of theirs were passed on to me?
I suppose I would like to travel to the Isle of Sky someday, but it seems so far away such a terrific amount of effort. So I will be content to be the arm chair traveler.


I made my husbands families favorite salad today. It is cucumber salad. My husbands heritage is Hungarian. This salad he remembers from childhood and of course his mother still makes it on occasion. Now my hubby usually makes this salad as he does a great job but today I made it and I am sure it will have to be tweaked by him after he tastes it.
Recipe.
Cucumber salad.
Three regular size cucumbers
1/2 Anaheim pepper diced
salt
1 cup sour cream
two cloves garlic minced
apple cider vinegar to taste about a tablespoon to two tablespoons
pepper to taste 
1 and 1/2 tablespoon sweet Hungarian paprika


Peel and slice cucumbers not to thin or to thick, just perfect!
Put the sliced cucumbers into a strainer and sprinkle salt over them and mix up with your fingers so all gets some salt. Let sit for one hour. Thoroughly rinse the cukes then take a bite of a cucumber it should not taste to salty after being rinsed. Let drain for a half hour. While the cukes are draining in a med size mixing bowl add sour cream and all the above ingredients. Mix well to blend.
Remove the cukes from the strainer and working in batches put into a white tea towel and squeeze every bit of remaining water from the cucumbers. Put the cucumbers into a container I like a plastic container with a lid. Add the sour cream mixture and gently stir till all the cukes are coated. put in the fridge chill and serve. That is it. Of course you can add more of the vinegar if you like more of a tang or more sour cream if you like it creamier. 


Now I must make a comment. I do not care for this salad. I never had it as a child or acquired a taste for it. To me it seems rather bland and I am not a big fan of sour cream except in certain recipes.


While I was in the midst of writing this blog my brother called. He just bought a new travel trailer. Good size and with a big slide also. He is having it delivered to his second home at Silver Cove RV park at Silver Lake WA. He is very excited and cannot wait for me to come and spend a couple of days with him in his new digs. Way to go brother. He is 81 years young so I say whatever puts a smile on your face go with it! So another trip will be in order more than likely at the end of summer.


I will leave you now with a thought for the day.


If you know something that will put a smile on your face and it is obtainable to you. Just do it!
Days fly by then months then years and soon we are toward the end our stay here on earth. Don't live in the past live in the now breathe in each day and behold it, it is life!







No comments:

Post a Comment