Monday, August 6, 2012

MAKING ZUCCHINI RELISH


Posted by PicasaThis was my busy kitchen yesterday. I enjoy making relish. I made four pints so I will make this again a couple of times so I can have 12 pints total. The house always smells of vinegar and spices for quite a long while after it has finished cooking. Reminds me of my childhood days when Mom made relish and pickles.
Speaking of pickles hubby will be making more of his hot ones with hot peppers. Everyone seems to love them especially him!

We had a really good meal last night. We usually do not grill pork ribs as it seems the baby backs can get dry quickly. So I bought St. Louis style they are meatier and fatter. Just a hunkier rack of ribs.
I trimmed off the excessive fat and on the back side took the silver membrane off the back of the ribs. This is a must it is easy to take off it just pulls away from the rib.
Then I just salt and pepper them put into a roasting pan with a little water in the bottom, cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes on 325 degree's.
We like to put the ribs on the grill and keep moping them with sauce for at least a half hour or so. So that is what we did and they were perfect. No falling off the bone just a little tug as you bite our perfect way to eat them. They were juicy yet crispy at the edges with the good sauce. Finger licking good for sure!

Easy Carolina sauce using Sweet baby Ray's honey BBQ sauce. Makes one cup.

Using a glass measuring cup add a little more than a 1/2 cup bbq sauce.
Then add 1/4 cup white vinegar(do not use apple cider vinegar)
add one tablespoon of apple cider or apple juice
2 tablespoons of ketchup
1 tablespoon of brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
Add as much Franks hot wing sauce as you like. I used about one and half teaspoons as I do not like it real hot. Hubby added more as he ate his.
Just mix it all up and let it sit for a hour or longer to meld the flavors.

Put the ribs on a med grill about 350 no hotter and mop the sauce over the ribs. Keep mopping and turning for approximately a 1/2 hour or until they are fork tender.
These are yummy folks with a tangy bite. 
I served ranch beans and made a big green salad with blue cheese dressing.
Tonight we are having a repeat as we only ate half the rack of ribs. So will just wrap in foil and heat in the oven. That is another plus for not buying baby backs, you get a bigger rack of ribs.

We have low hanging gray clouds this morning. I am assuming they will burn off as it is to be 87 today. Yesterday was 90 and the day before we hit 100.

Well I am off for my daily walk then home to do house chores. It is Monday and laundry needs doing and just general cleaning.
I will have time this afternoon to read. My book is really good, a page turner for sure. At the point I am now in my book it is the start of WW2. The book takes place in Germany as well as NYC.

Have a awesome August day. I hope too.


No comments:

Post a Comment