Thursday, August 23, 2012

SPAGHETTI WITH GARDEN ROASTED TOMATO SAUCE AND ITALIAN SAUSAGE


Posted by PicasaYes this was one tasty dish we had it for two nights in a row. Just look at the color of that sauce.
I pick the tomatoes, core them put them on a cookie sheet and toss on a handful of peeled garlic cloves, drizzle with olive oil and roast slowly until the tomatoes are starting to turn brown on the edges and all soft and roasted. 
I then take them out of the oven and let cool. I slip the skins off and put the skins in the food processor. I then remove the skins from the processor and put in a deep heavy pot, then add the tomatoes to the processor and pulse until smooth. Add to the pot. Add salt and pepper, Italian spices and grilled or pan fried mild Italian sausage cut into chunks and slowly cook till all the flavors have melded. I actually made this sauce last year and froze it. 

To the side I made a fresh salad with home made parmesan croutons, fresh garden tomatoes, cucumbers and sliced onions. I topped the salad off with fresh corn I boiled and cut off the cob in strips. I served the salad with ranch dressing. I was going to make creamy Italian but thought ranch sounded better at the moment. 
The dinner was such a tasty tomato mouthful of flavor!

Today is quite breezy, the wind chimes are flying and tinkling. It truly does seem like fall is coming around the edges of summer now. I really do not mind but we have reservations for a few days at a cabin in the cascade mountains and plan on spending time by the lake. So it would make us mighty happy if summer would grace us with her company for a bit longer.

I picked blackberries yesterday from our own little property here. Hubby cut a lot of vines down early spring as they were encroaching on our side yard. However he did save some and the few he saved provided me with three cups of berries and more coming on. I had intentions of making a pie but somehow I kept nibbling at those sweet berries and in no time at all there was not enough to make a thing. But I did so enjoy them and hubby did too this morning with his breakfast.
I love the valley with all it's bounty. This time of year especially. The corn so sweet and juicy grown right here at our farms. The local apples, cherries, peaches etc are all going strong now. What's not to love?

I must now tidy my house and head out on my daily walk. 
Have a great day enjoy summer's bounty!!!!!
Ciao.




No comments:

Post a Comment