Thursday, March 21, 2013

FRESH ORANGE CAKE WITH GLAZE


Posted by PicasaThis cake is a winner. Very moist and taste like fresh oranges.  I am surprised it is this tasty as you know where I got the recipe? From the Cake Dr. cook book.
I never make cakes that are not from scratch. So this a semi-homemade cake. Starting with a yellow cake mix with pudding in it and then adding 1 cup fresh squeezed orange juice, 1/2 cup canola oil, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla and four large eggs. Just mix all the ingredients together in the mixer till well blended creamy and thick and spread into a oil sprayed and lightly floured bundt pan. Bake in a 350 degree oven for approximately 45 minutes. I took mine out at at 43 minutes as I did not want to over bake it and it was perfect.
Remove from oven and set on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Then run a sharp knife around the edged and invert onto a plate and let cool completely before glazing.
Glaze.
1 cup of powered sugar and juice of one orange and zest from one orange. I use the same orange, just zest it first and then juice it. Pour the glaze over the cake and let it drizzle down the sides and into the middle.
Store the cake in a cake keeper. It can sit at room temp for a week. You can also wrap in foil and freeze it all or part of it if you like.

It is a bitter cold day here. I was to the grocery store very early this morning and the air felt like snow. Now that it is early afternoon we have a broken gray sky with bits of blue scattered about but still chilly. I want spring, this does not feel like it.


For tonight's dinner I am preparing crusted baked pork chops, oven roasted vegetables and a pear and walnut salad.
This is a lovely fresh tasting little salad.
Pear and Walnut Salad
4 servings assorted greens
2 med size pears thinly sliced
2 teaspoon lemon juice
3 teaspoon honey
1/4 toasted chopped walnuts
crumbled blue cheese.
In a 2 quart bowl toss together the assorted greens and pear slices. For dressing combine the honey and lemon juice. Pour over the salad and toss to coat. Sprinkle with walnuts and blue cheese crumbles.

I love an oven meal and this will be so simple this evening. The salad will make a nice accompaniment.

I have much to do today so I will leave you now and be back here tomorrow with more earth shattering information.




No comments:

Post a Comment