Tuesday, March 5, 2013

MY BEST WAY FOR ROASTED CHICKEN


Posted by PicasaThis truly is the easiest way for me to make roasted chicken and have it be perfectly roasted every time.
It seems when I roast a whole chicken I always have to bake it longer to get the thigh meat next to the bones done.
This chicken is always moist, tender and most importantly evenly roasted.
This was how it looked right before putting into the oven. I have already blogged with photo's how the chicken looks when taken from the oven.

The first thing you do is take the backbone of the chicken out. I find it is easiest to use cooking shears. Lay the chicken breast side up with the large cavity facing you. Take your shears and cut down side of the backbone all the way to the other end. Then repeat on the other side of the breast bone and then discard the backbone. Now taking your hands place them on the fatty part of the breast and press down very hard until you hear the breastbone crack. And that it it!
I surround this one as I normally do with carrots, whole garlic cloves, green peppers and red potatoes with the peelings left on. I toss all into a big bowl and drizzle well with olive oil then I add what ever herbs and spices I prefer.
What I do to the chicken is salt and pepper the inside and then place it breast up and rub with olive oil then rub in kosher salt, cracked black pepper, coriander  paprika, tarragon, and thyme. You can use anything you like. Sometimes I will add a little heat such as cumin or red pepper flakes and cayenne. Or at times I have added lemon juice and zest. Just use what appeals to you.
Place in a hot 400 degree oven for a half hour then lower the heat to 375 degree's for about twenty minutes or until juices run clear from the thigh or use your instant read temp gage it just should read 180 degrees. Some say 165 degrees I find that is not sufficient for all the meat to be cooked next to the bones.
Remove from oven crave and enjoy. It is so easy to cut also with the backbone removed and the breast bone broken.
So that was our meal last evening.

I was going to make white chicken chili tonight with the remainder of the chicken but have decided to make chicken fried rice instead with a crispy romaine salad to the side. As we just had soup a few days ago that was amazing by the way it was the linguisa cabbage soup with beer, very tasty. The fried rice sounds perfect to me this evening. I adore fried rice and make it often. This recipe is a little different as it has bacon as well as the chicken. That should make for a flavorful dish. Bacon goes wonderfully in almost everything it seems.

We had a lovely day here yesterday. I took a walk early afternoon, the sun on my face made me want to cry......oh it felt so lovely.
Later hubby and I sat on the deck the sun was still warm as it sunk into the horizon. 
Soon I will not hear the rattle of bare branches but the whispering of limbs softened by new leaves and opening buds.

We have been planning our little getaway to the beach. This morning we were trying to decide whether to go to Lincoln City, Newport or Florence. More than likely it will be Florence as hubby is getting busy and that means a shorter time away.
But we have always loved to plan, it seems it is part of the adventure.  Anticipation has always been a big draw for me.

Well I am going to do a few needed chores and then my nose goes in my latest book. I am not walking today as the rain is quite steady though not heavy but still I would get drenched.

I am hungry may just have to have a snack, so off to the kitchen I go.


No comments:

Post a Comment