Thursday, March 28, 2013

POTATO LEEK SOUP

This evening we are having potato leek soup. This a easy soup to make and just a little different than the two other potato soups I make. 
As hubby purchased a big bag of potatoes that were on special and I had already purchased a large bag elsewhere we are in potato world. So a nice hot bowl of soup this evening with a slice or two of buttered warm french bread sounds divine. 
Here is the very simple recipe.
Potato Leek Soup
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 cups of sliced leeks white and pale parts only.
1 large clove of garlic minced
1 qt. reduced sodium chicken stock
3 large russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 cup of half and half
2 teaspoons kosher salt

Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Cook leeks stirring often until softened about five minutes. Measure out 1/4 cup of leeks and set aside. Add garlic to the remaining leeks in the pot and cook until fragrant about two minutes. Increase heat add the chicken stock, potatoes and cook covered until the potatoes are tender about 15 minutes. Add the half and half and salt.
Cool soup and then working in batches whirl soup in the blender to puree. Reheat slowly.  Divide soup among four bowls and top each with the reserved leeks.
There are variations you can make by adding fresh herbs, some flat leaf parsley or whatever you like. But this simple straight forward recipe is good.
I am going to cut this recipe in half as there is only the two of us and I do not want a lot of soup leftover.
The reason to cool the soup before blending is that hot soup can blow the top off your blender. I had it happen to me once making a mexican hot chocolate. What a mess, luckily I did not get burned.

As I had mentioned previously my daughter was to be here at this time for a three day visit. Well she was unable to come as she came down with a cold. We were both so disappointed as we had our time planned out and could not wait to start having fun. So the way it stands now is that she will come in two weekends. Made me sad.
To appease me somewhat my sweet husband took me to a late lunch yesterday as he only worked a half day. Then tomorrow I going on a country ride with him out into the beautiful Mohawk valley as he going on a bid. Then we are going to do a couple of errands and out for lunch again. Seems it is one of our fave things to do.
Then of course as I mentioned yesterday we are working in our garden space and the back deck this coming weekend and having a Easter meal.

Our weekend is shaping up nicely weather wise. Lots of bright sun, warming to 69-70 degrees. Perfect for weeding the garden area.

I will not post for a few days now so do have a lovely Easter however you are spending it.
Ciao.


No comments:

Post a Comment