Sunday, December 22, 2013

CHRISTMAS RUM CAKE


Posted by PicasaThis is the cake my husband must have at Christmas time. This is a grand cake with a good amount of dark rum. Yum!
So today is cookie day, tomorrow is rum cake day. I like to serve this cake with vanilla caramel swirl ice cream. Tillamook and Umqua both make a good ice cream and are northwest favorites.(photo last years cake)

Right now I am sitting with dye on my hair. Not a favorite of mine to dye my hair and I do it only when my temples are screaming at me to ditch the gray! My husband is in the family room watching a movie and I asked him not to come in the office..........PLEASE. I look a wet rat! Well off I go now to rinse it out. I will return.

OK that chore is done for another few months. Now on to cookie baking.
This recipe has been in my family on my Dad's side for so many years no remembers where it started. My Grandmother ate them when she was a young girl, so her Mother knew the recipe.I would imagine in the olden days they made them with lard as there was no crisco or margarine. It is a good recipe and I have shared it with many folks. My daughter makes them every year and has given her daughter Megan the recipe. So we will see if it continues to roll on.
The cookies are very simple. They are a basic sugar cookie but they are made with brown sugar and crisco or margarine (I use crisco) they are soft and stay soft if you put them in a container with a snap lid. I like to roll and cut them out a little thicker than normal as it makes them more cake like. I usually frost or glaze about a third of them as we like plain ones for dunking in coffee or tea. I make a butter cream frosting on the thin side this makes for a smooth silky frosting.
I did purchase some sprinkles this year usually I do not mess with that but thought why not? These are the only cookies I make and I do not make candy or fudge as I care for neither. I usually buy hubby some good quality chocolates like Godiva.

I had some wonderful news yesterday. My daughter emailed me asking if they could come the Friday after Christmas for two nights. Well that just makes our holiday. We love to have Gina and Doug. Doug and my hubby get along famously and are good buds. So that makes it very nice indeed for Gina and I. The four of us love games. So we play Wii golf and cards, dice etc. I reminded them to bring their spa attire so they can take a hot tub if they choose to do so. I hope the raccoon will not jump in and join them. Last year we were soaking in the tub and a raccoon was in the shrubbery nearby scolding us. It is probably the same one we are pestered with now.

It is later now and I am back working on this post. I needed to get the cookie dough made and into the fridge to chill. So that is happening now. I was sent to the office by my hubby as he is wrapping my gifts. I asked him, do you want to use gift bags? He answered no, I need to wrap them. Now if you ever saw even one present my husband wrapped you would know why I suggested gift bags. I was astounded the first time I saw one. My hand flew to my mouth in horror and I fled the room afraid of hurting his feelings.

Hubby just told me he is through wrapping(I hope I don't laugh.) Now I can go and start on the cookie making.
He is making dinner tonight so that will help me as I will be in the kitchen a good while making five dozen cookies and frosting some of them.

Hope you all are having a nice Sunday, only three more days till Santa jumps in his magical sleigh!


No comments:

Post a Comment