Thursday, December 12, 2013

MY WINTER SIMPLE PLEASURES


Posted by PicasaThis is still the scene minus the fall leaves. It is still cold and frozen with snow still crusted on the roadways.
Today there is a possibility of freezing rain, let us hope that does not happen.
I am feeling enough is enough.....I know that is spoiled of me but that is why I live here and not across the mountains in central or eastern Oregon.

The streets are very slick so I am staying home rather venturing out to do my weekly grocery shopping. Hubby and I are going together tomorrow to grocery shop(heaven help me)a trip to Bi-Mart, the bank and to see his Mother who is in a nursing home. I will take her a stack of my latest magazines and the current newspaper and we will stop and take her a strawberry shake as she loves them.
So tomorrow will be busy and that is good as we are going through a bit of cabin fever.

Tomorrow evening I am making individual pizza's for us. I have an assortment of toppers so I will make the dough and we each will make up our own pizza. Sounds a fun way to enjoy the evening.
Tonight a simple little chicken noodle casserole just big enough for one evening. My fridge, freezer and pantry need to be re-stocked.
I have made my grocery list for the coming week and have some interesting meals on the agenda.
For one I am going to make a Shepherd's pie. My husband seems to think he would like it so I found a yummy sounding recipe in one of my cooking magazines. Also I will be making British meat pies and polenta with peppers,scallions and topped with sunny side eggs ready to ooze out their creamy goodness all over the polenta. Also we will have wok night lots of veggies wok stirred but still crunchy and served over steamed rice with a teriyaki brown sauce .


I just finished another book I have a huge stack I am working on. I love to have many books just waiting for me to open their covers. It is like a present when I go through them reading the reviews on the back and selecting the perfect one I am in the mood to read. It is what I call one of my simple pleasures.
I have also been working on a drawing of a mid century city while my husband works at the other end of the dining table putting together a puzzle. We are quiet in our work it is a nice pleasant way to spend a winter afternoon. Another simple pleasure.

This afternoon I am going to make a pan of my granny's cinnamon rolls. I will make the dough in the mixer so it will go faster. I can then take my mother in law a couple gooey cinnamon rolls tomorrow. She will enjoy that.

I had a wonderful conversation yesterday with two of my favorite men. My brother and my son. After a total of two hours on the phone my ear was red and sore, but so worth it.

I will leave you now and proceed to the kitchen to get the dough made and put to rise for the rolls. 
I will look forward to the rain coming in tomorrow.
Stay warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment