Wednesday, December 4, 2013

TURKEY DIVAN


Posted by PicasaWhat a yummy casserole. Leftover turkey stars in this dish with broccoli, bechamel sauce and parmesan cheese. 
Almost every cookbook has a recipe for chicken divan and this is what this is, only made with turkey. This variation has chicken broth instead of milk in the sauce. This dish is so rich and creamy we really enjoy it. I fixed a simple green salad with Russian dressing to go with.
We had this dish two nights in a row, now there is but one small portion left that I will claim tomorrow for lunch.

This afternoon I made muffins. I felt like having a good muffin on hand for breakfast and the grocery stores at least our stores have gooey muffins with too much sugar and we have no bakeries near by. So I found a basic muffin recipe and added to the top of the muffins before baking a mixture of cinnamon, raw sugar and nut sprinkles. I already tried a muffin.....bad me and it was so good. I cannot wait for morning to have my good Starbucks Blonde coffee with cream and a muffin.

Tonight for dinner we are having a slow cooked pork shoulder roast. Served with roasted yukon golds, yams, bell peppers, garlic and onion. Tossed in olive oil then salt and peppered and spread in a layer on a baking sheet and roasted in the oven.  I bake at 375 for about 45-minutes or till the potatoes are tender. When tender I remove from the oven and heat the broiler and slice tomatoes and arrange over the top of the veggies and then sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese and heat under the broiler until the cheese and tomatoes are bubbling.
Tonight I will just have them straight from the oven as  I do not have enough tomatoes on hand......oh summer and tomato garden where are you when I need you?

Tomorrow that leftover roast will be morphed into pork taco's with black beans to the side.

You can tell I am in the food mode but I should not be. I feel I have gained a couple pounds lately. It was not the thanksgiving food that made this happen, I think it is my hubby. He has been home and not working and when he is here we go to lunch, he runs for fast food, and basically I just do not eat as healthy. So I blame him.....better than taking the blame myself.

He was so sweet this morning. He got up earlier than I  and when my feet finally hit the cold floor and pushed into my slippers, I smelled breakfast! It was ready and so delish. My husband makes the best fried potatoes with onions. He cuts small rectangular pieces so they get all crispy. He had pan of bacon fried to perfection and sour dough toast ready to pop in the toaster. He asked how I wanted my egg but I did not want an egg. So I loaded up my plate and poured a glass of OJ and off to the nook table by the heater vent and while the sun streamed in the window I ate and read the paper..........ah heaven.
No mind you I am not a breakfast eater, but see this is what happens when he is home. Zo gains weight.

It is so cold today..brr. Last night it was teens tonight also and colder and by Friday as we will be having night time temps in the 10 degree range. Too cold for me. We may have a cold brittle winter according to many experts.

Well I am tired and need to recharge in my chair with my book for a while before starting dinner. I am going to pour a juicy glass of my fave red wine and put my feet up.

Have a nice evening and stay warm by the fire.
Later.





No comments:

Post a Comment