Friday, June 22, 2012

AS ABOVE SO BELOW


Posted by PicasaThere was an ocean in the sky yesterday afternoon.This is not my photo I found it online as I did not take a photo yesterday and should have. But this is very similar to yesterdays event.
Clouds were rolling in on a blue sky like waves on sand. In they came one after the other along the horizon line.
They were flat on the bottom building on top to pillowy foamy peaks. Soon the sky above us was filled with sky waves. It was a churning sea in the heavens. 
It was surreal to look and see above what is normally below. So "As above so below" came to mind. It certainly was fitting for the moment. 
Later the clouds moved over us exposing a clean blue palette.
It was quite a sighting.


Today I make apple pie :) I love to make my own crust.  I have always made good crust just following my tried and true Zo recipe. My mother always said to me, "you always make the best pie crust".  I would show her what I do but for some reason hers never came out the same way.
Here are some key things that need to observed when making crust. 
Never handle the dough more than needed.  Make it moist you can always add a little flour on the bread broad if it sticks while rolling it out. Get it right the first time as not to re-roll the dough. The overworking of the dough will make it tough. To dry will make it crumbly.
Here is what I do.
I put some flour in a large bowl enough for a double crust which is what I am making today.
I add some salt, stir to together.
I use vegetable shortening and not butter or a combo of(though I have made a decent tart crust with chilled butter)
To the flour add salt I add a good dollop of shortening. Using my pasty blender or two forks blend together until small lumps about the size of pea's form. Then I push the flour mixture toward the center of the bowl. Around the edge of the bowl I add ice cold water by the tablespoon full. Start with about three or four for a double crust. My key to crust is to get enough water in there to make the dough hold together. After adding the water work the flour together if it is not coming together drizzle in more cold water until the dough will form a ball. Add flour to your bread board and flour your rolling pin. Then roll starting at the middle and rolling out. When it is the size you want then trim with a pizza cutter. This works great just roll it around the edges. 
That is it. No putting in the fridge in plastic wrap to chill, there is nothing wrong with doing that but if your water is ice cold it is a step that does not need to happen.




We are having grilled flat iron steaks for dinner with sides of roasted asparagus and a green salad with blue cheese dressing, my mom's recipe.
I will put on my steak rub which is noted on another blog.
Wrap the steak in plastic wrap and put in the fridge for a few hours.
Take the steak out at least a half hour before it goes on the hot grill. I have also blogged about how to grill the perfect steak and I will say we(I) do a awesome job. The most important thing is after the steak is grilled take it off the grill, put several pats of butter on the steak(have these ready to go) cover tightly with foil and let rest for at least 8 minutes. This is so so important. I cannot stress this enough. The meat has to rest in order to settle the juices and finish cooking. If you do not rest the steak all the juice will run out all over your plate when you cut into it and your steak will be dry.  I guarantee your steak will be juicy and tender if you let it rest. Of course you can omit the butter but it adds so much. Also you can make compound butter with many different herbs and spices......so good.


Well my gosh here it is almost ten AM and I have not done a thing other than read the paper, have my coffee and be on this computer.
That's all for now from the lazy girl.





No comments:

Post a Comment