Tuesday, June 12, 2012

RICE AND BEAN CASSEROLE


Posted by PicasaThis is not the best photo but the casserole was good. Every time it is a little different as it depends on what I have in my pantry and fridge.
So this is what I used this time.......now mind you this a no-brainer as they say really easy not gourmet just a good side dish.
INGREDIENTS
1 cup of long grain rice (actually I used short grain as I was out of long grain)
Substitute chicken broth for the amount of water needed for the rice usually about a cup and a half is good for a cup of rice
1 can small red beans drained and rinsed(you can substitute black or pinto beans also) or do a mixture.
1 can diced tomatoes with their juice
1 cup of cheddar cheese shredded or shredded Mexican cheese blend
1/2 onion chopped small
1/2 pepper of your choice chopped small(I used a mild Hungarian pepper)
salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
Tabasco, hot sauce or salsa


Cook the rice in the chicken broth according to package directions.
Drain and rinse the beans add to the rice, add the canned tomatoes
Saute the onions and pepper till limp add to the mixture
add the seasonings  mix well
spread in a 8x8 or 7x9 greased casserole dish
sprinkle the top lavishly with Tabasco, hot sauce or salsa 
then cover with the shredded cheese and bake at 350 for a half hour or so till all is heated and the cheese is bubbly.


You can make this as hot as you like by adding cayenne or red pepper.  I kept it mild this time for us.
It is also good with pickled  jalapeno slices scattered over the top of the cheese.
Enjoy.


Hubby grilled and bbq'd the chicken it was slightly charred with gooey sauce and so juicy inside he did a very good job. It is not easy to grill chicken as you know you always have flare ups. He left the lid open on the grill and grilled on med-low heat turning frequently. One must baby sit chicken.


It was a very pleasant evening last night. We sat outdoors while the casserole baked in the oven and the chicken grilled. I worked on a cross word puzzle as hubby babied the chicken. The birds and squirrels kept us entertained as our mouths watered for what was to come. It was a content peaceful evening in the back yard.


Speaking of yards our front yard is much improved. Hubby mowed and fertilized and spread new bright rusty colored bark and weeded. He was a busy guy yesterday with all his outdoor chores. I completed what I had on my list.
It rained during the night which was a surprise as it was not suppose to.
So this morning I have sopping chair pads to contend with on the deck. It is cloudy today so far but very mild and the sun is to shine upon us so the pads will dry out on their own I think.


I have much to do today so best get on with the day. My morning will be spent in the office as I also do laundry a little multi-tasking. Then this afternoon I want to get my fence decor up in the garden area.
Tonight we are having leftovers as we still have a good deal of chicken and casserole left I will add a green garden salad and make some ranch dressing that will go good with the mix.


Have a great Tuesday.







No comments:

Post a Comment