Monday, June 11, 2012

BEST- IN THE WEST BERRY COBBLER


Posted by PicasaThis was hands down the best berry cobbler I have ever eaten. Reason being the crust is crispy and sugary on top. It is kind of a strange recipe I got it off the internet yesterday as I wanted something different than just a biscuit type crust. This recipe has a strange twist that makes that crust crackle.
So here is recipe.
 Ingredients:
2-3 cups of mixed berries a frozen bag full is usually this amount.
3 tablespoons shortening
1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 cup boiling water


Spread the berries juice and all in a bottom of a 8x8 inch greased pan
Cream the shortening and 3/4 cup of sugar well
Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together add alternately with the milk to the creamed mixture. Batter will be thick
Spread batter over berries(I kind of patted it on)
Combine the remaining sugar and the cornstarch together and sprinkle over the batter. (This is a juicy cobbler so if want it thicker you can add an extra 1/2 tablespoon of cornstarch to the sugar) I did not do this as we like juicy cobbler.
Pour the boiling water over all and DO NOT MIX.


Then pop in the oven on 350 degree's for 45 minutes (It took longer than to bake the crust in my oven so I just added what minutes I needed)
Top warm cobbler with real whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
I am telling you that crisp in that crust is amazing.......we really hummed!


It is a busy day around the grounds of our home today. Hubby has been at it since early. New bark is now spread in the needed area's in the front of the house. Next my husband will be working on the side yard.
I deep cleaned our big outdoor grill, not a fun chore but all nice and sparkly now. We are having bbq'd grilled chicken tonight. Hubby picked up a fresh fryer and we are going to put it on the grill late afternoon and play games at the patio table. That aroma coming from the chicken grilling will set our taste buds a dancing.  Some pieces will be mopped with my home made bbq sauce and a few pieces with Chinese five spice glaze. So a little mixture there. All of it will cause sticky fingers perfect for licking.
I am making a side dish of my rice and bean casserole. This is simple little dish that is so good and satisfying. I will take a photo of it tonight and post the recipe tomorrow.


It was totally blue sky when we woke this morning then high wispy clouds swirled in and now we have mostly high haze obscuring the blue but it warm and very pleasant outdoors so I am not complaining. 
My walk was quiet today. Very different than walking on the weekend unless it is very early. I noticed most folks had worked hard in their yards this past weekend. All looked so nice and tended to. I adore this time of year.
Our neighbors feed the birds and squirrels, so there is much activity. They eat at their yard and then hang out in our yard. That is fun for us. A pair of blue jays have decided they love the tree at the end of our back yard.  We love to listen to their chatter. The squirrels are on our deck, in our garden, on top our spa, in the flower and herb barrels and pots. They are so busy they have hundred of peanuts stored everywhere on our property. Perhaps we could start a peanut farm. Regardless we love watching their antic's.


I had best be on with my day as I have a few more to-do's to attend to.
Have a lovely spring day.





No comments:

Post a Comment