Monday, June 4, 2012

SOUTH SISTER


Posted by PicasaI climbed this mountain one summer morning with my husband. It may not look like much of a mountain as mountains go but believe me it a long hike from the bottom to the top.  We made camp at a perfectly clear lake the night before. All that evening I stared at that moonlit mountain knowing I would be ascending it come early morning.  The dark lake glittered  and danced with starlight.  It was so quiet that night and after we were snuggled into our back packing tent the only sound was that of our own breathing. 
Morning shown bright with the promise of a hot hot day. We dressed, had our coffee and packed our water and granola bars and other snacks into our day packs and we were off.  One foot in front of the other for miles. The march around the lake took a good deal of time then the gradual accent first through meadows bright with wildflowers, then hills with soft trails turning hard underfoot to rock. Up and up we went the lake below us becoming smaller and smaller. 
We took breaks from time for a sip of water or a handful of trail mix. My husband is a great rock sitter I reluctantly will  sit with him but a hard rock is not my idea of comfort. As we got higher up the mountain the going become somewhat of a workout.  Crumbly scree would slid under our boots and slowed us. Toward the last accent it seemed to me it was three steps up then slide two back. As we neared the summit the fog rolled in. This happens frequently on the tops of mountains as they seem to make their own bit of weather. So as we ascended we were cheated as our view was nothing at all. All was obscured in the hazy misty  fog. So we sat huddled in a rock enclave atop the mountain now chilled as the sun was no more. Hubby took a photo of me and I look quite miserable but that was not truly what I was feeling. I was so happy for my achievement. This was a new experince for me unlike my hubby who has climbed  many mountains in the northwest. We lingered on top for a half hour and then started our descent which I must say is harder than one would think. You have a tendency to go way to fast on the steep parts it is hard to hold back. Soon your legs start feeling rubbery and like they will not support you. The hike down was much faster than going up and as we walked around the lake to our camp I was relived to be down safe. We had our lunch and took our tent down and packed up and hiked out another six miles to the where we had our rig parked. My body was tired when we finally got home but my mind was alive and bright with energy. 
That was the last mountain I climbed but I continued to backpack with my husband all over the Cascade range. We had some incredible adventures  in that high country.  Now when we drive past those mountains on the highway I look up and know them close up and personal. I love that.


Tomorrow I will blog about food I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment