Friday, June 8, 2012

CHINESE DOGWOOD IN OUR YARD


Posted by PicasaThis Chinese dogwood plant adorns our front yard. Right now it is in full bloom and so fragile and beautiful looking. The white flowers look like tender silky stars. 


It is a partly sunny or partly cloudy sky today. Being an optimist I prefer to say it is partly sunny. Who knows what the weekend will bring it seems to me it could be anything including snow in the mountains as this disturbance is still moving through.
Come Monday all will be bright and sunny once more and quite warm. I wonder why that is the way it plays out for folks that have  weekends off?
This weekend my children's father's family is having a gathering in Portland and Vancouver. Many will come from different parts as far away as Alaska and Arizona. I am sure most of the weekend events will be planned for the outdoors. This is the northwest however June has always been a month of variances hopefully some sun will shine on their celebration.


I made a very yummy potato last night. This what I did.
Zo's potato soup #5.
five medium size potatoes peeled and cubed
1 small onion chopped
3 ribs of celery sliced thin
1 package fresh baby or adult spinach
1 clove of garlic minced
1 cup of shredded cheese. I used 3/4 cheddar cheese and a 1/4 asiago or you could use parmesan.
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 can of evaporated milk or half and half
water to add if necessary for more liquid
1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
a sprinkle of Mrs.Dash original salt free seasoning
pepper to taste
Butter and canola oil mixed to cover the bottom of your pot


Melt a tablespoon of butter and drizzle oil to lightly cover the bottom of your cooking pot.
Add onion, celery, garlic cook and stir until almost tender
deglaze the pot with some of the chicken broth
add the rest of the chicken broth and the potatoes, basil and seasonings
Cook covered on low heat until the potatoes are tender
Add the milk or half and half and heat on simmer when the milk is heated take a potato masher and lightly mash a few of the potatoes.
Then add the spinach and stir until all the spinach is wilted down
then add the shredded cheese and continue to heat until all the cheese has melted.
Once the soup is dished up hubby likes to add a sprinkle of Tabasco to the top.


That is it. The soup was creamy with just the right amount of seasonings. I love the combination of spinach and the two different cheeses it all just melts together like silk.
I served this up with a crispy hot boule of Italian bread with creamery butter. I love to eat it the old fashioned way like my Dad used to do, dip that bread in the soup and pop a gooey bite into your mouth....so yummy.


Hubby picked up some good brats so we are having brat dogs with sauerkraut tonight. My husband asks for fries so I will make home fries.


Well the days calls. I have started a spiritual book I read almost thirty years ago. It was a life changing book for me so figured it would not hurt to give myself a tune-up. So that is what I will be doing for part of the afternoon.
Enjoy your day whatever it brings usually there is a bright spot even on a cloudy day.
See ya.















No comments:

Post a Comment