Saturday, August 30, 2014

FRESH VEGGIE BOWL

Nothing like sitting down to dinner with this in front of you. A bowl of nothing but fresh veggies minus the lettuce. This mixture includes fresh corn, zucchini, cucumbers, sweet onions, leeks, garden tomatoes and from the can black olives and garbanzo beans.To finish sprinkle blue cheese over the top and dress with Italian dressing made with olive oil. A very healthy side dish or in my case a complete dinner.

Tonight is OREGON'S first football game, needless to say my hubby is very excited. He is working today but will be home before the game starts. I put our OREGON decor out yesterday in our family room so all is set for football season once again.
We love this time of year summer is tiptoeing away and fall is sneaking in. Today we have little showers coming by they are very light and soft not making a peep. I was surprised when I looked out and saw the wet deck. It is cooler into the low seventies today. I am enjoying this very much, the air is fresh and moist and I am coxing it indoors with open doors and windows.

Tonight for our first college football game of the season I am making sliders. We love sliders and I make them very simple in my cast iron skillet as they are smaller than a regular hamburger I love to use the skillet and cook them fast as not to dry them out. I heat the skillet on high until smoking I toss in a little salt scattered across the bottom of the pan. I put the small sliders in the very hot pan and fry. I have my stove fan on high but tonight if it is not showering I am going to use the side burner on the big gas grill. After they start to char on the bottom side I flip them and add just splatter of Worcestershire sauce.The pan will start smoking, finish the burgers to your liking and remove and cover with foil until you have toasted your little slider buns. I do this in a different skillet I add just a little margarine to insides of the slider buns and toast till slightly crispy I then remove them from the pan and lightly butter the tops. Open them and spread your mustard of choice on both buns and place in your burger patty and top with sliced dill pickles and close. Yum, a slider plain and simple as they are suppose to be.
I for one like to order sliders when we go out for lunch but invariably the sliders come with aoli sauce or thousand island sauce or ketchup or whatever and are loaded with caramelized onions, tomatoes or lettuce. When sliders first became popular they were just like I am making this evening. Simple. If you want all that other stuff just make a regular full size burger!
I am going to make home fries to go with ours this evening. I love using the mandoline as it makes precise slices of potatoes. I slice them rather thin so they are more like a thick chip.
This talk of food is making me hungry! I have had little to eat today and I am eating clean as they say. I had a medium size bowl of multi-grain cheerios for breakfast and a couple Carr's water wafer crackers with a little deli turkey and a sliced tomato for lunch. Now I wait for dinner.......yumo!
I have a decent bottle of red wine to go with our sliders this evening. I am also liking that idea as I love good jammy full bodied wine with burgers.
Oh another food note I would like to add is that the chocolate zucchini bread is such a winner. I tried a very slender slice when I first took it from the pan just to taste. My husband has been eating a piece every evening and smiling while wiping chocolate from his lips. I made three loaves and put two in the freezer.

It has been a relaxing day for me today. After yesterday's shopping marathon I was more than ready for a laid back day.
Once again I always think I like going clothes shopping but an hour in I am ready to come home. Yesterday was fairly successful however as I found the perfect top to go with my black skirt for my grandsons wedding. I also purchased a nice lightweight black long sweater with some added lace detailing at the shoulders and neckline and a super cute pair of skinny jeans. I also added a few other smaller items that I needed and my shopping bag was full. Enough shopping for a while.

I am now going to catch up on some correspondence via the email. I have several folks I owe a message to.
Have a great Sunday and if you are a OREGON fan it is GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!  



No comments:

Post a Comment