Sunday, August 17, 2014

OLIVIA SAYS. "I JUST GET OVERWHELMED WHEN I SHOP THERE IS SO MUCH TO CHOOSE FROM..

This is soooo cute! Little "O" shopping, new purse in hand and on her feet new shoes with the tag hanging down. 
This is certainly going to be one fashionable gal if her two grammy's have anything to say about it!


Today is another day of making sauce. I roasted four pans of tomatoes yesterday that made eight cups of sauce, thus four jars. I fill quart jars with two cups each as that is right amount for the two of us. I am mainly making simple tomato sauce this year with just olive oil and salt and pepper. I will make a few smaller jars of pasta sauce to take in our RV.  When I make pasta sauce I add to the tomatoes, garlic, shallots, green peppers, fresh oregano, basil and thyme all sprinkled with salt and pepper and drizzled with olive oil it is then roasted all together and then it is put in the food processor just as I do the simple tomato sauce. I even use the roasted skins of the tomatoes. I process them first then add the tomatoes and the olive oil juice from the roaster pan.
I know one thing our bodies should be filled with antioxidants at this point as we are eating so many tomatoes daily.

Tonight for dinner I am roasting a chicken, I will fill the cavity with lemon slices, fresh rosemary and thyme. On the skin I will make a rub.  I am going to serve with yukon gold potatoes and make chicken gravy out of the drippings in the roaster pan. We will have sliced tomatoes to the side topped with balsalmic vinegar. Makes my mouth water as I write as I am a bit hungry right now.
Last night I did not make the tomato pie as I did not have enough mozzerla cheese. So I made a recipe of Giada DeLaurentis's from the Food Network. This is what you do and you will want to make this as it is so easy and tasty.

Roasted veggies with fresh tomatoes.

In a 13x9 casserole dish add one yam or sweet potato, two red or yukon gold potatoes, one green bell pepper all cut into 1/2 inch pieces drizzle with two tablespoons of olive oil and mix well. Then add sliced shallots or onions I added a leek also over the top of the vegetables. Then add zucchini cut in 1/2 inch pieces and lay over the onion layer. Drizzle two more tablespoons of olive oil over the zucchini. Cover the top with red sliced garden tomatoes, (heirlooms or celebrity tomatoes work best as you want them meaty). Then make a topping of two tablespoons of italian bread crumbs and a 1/2 cup of fresh grated parmesan cheese mix together and put over the tomatoes and drizzle with  two more tablespoons of olive oil.
Bake in a 400 degree oven uncovered for 45 minutes. 
This is simple and you can vary the potato, pepper and onion varieties according to what you have on hand. Give it a try and enjoy.

Well my day is slip sliding  away as I say. I have much to do again today so I had better get myself out of this chair and on with my day. 
Fortunately I have already walked and chatted with my brother as I did so. So that was such a nice way to start my day.
Well I am off, have a super summer Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment