Tuesday, August 5, 2014

SMOKEY APPLE WOOD AND ROSEMARY GRILLED SALMON SALAD

This was one amazing salad the best I have ever eaten and that is saying a lot. What made it so scrumptious is this.
My husband put soaked apple wood chips and rosemary springs onto the coals in the charcoal kettle. He slow cooked the salmon chunks with the lid on the kettle and it filled with smoke. The coals were burning low so the salmon grilled slowly we took the pieces off while they were perfectly cooked, just flaking apart. The salmon is Copper River sockeye the best in the world and known for it's flavor as well as it's deep red color.
As for the salad itself I used romaine lettuce hearts, our own garden tomatoes, sweet onion, olive slices, artichoke hearts and a little arugula.  For the dressing I used my aioli sauce recipe from Bon Appetit' and thinned to make a dressing out of it. I will post the sauce recipe it is a tasty one.
We had Trader Joe's sourdough crusty boule slices to the side and sipped chilled chardonnay.

AIOLI SAUCE
2 garlic cloves minced
1/4 teas kosher salt
1/2 cup mayo
2 tbl olive oil
1 tbl lemon juice
black pepper
cayenne pepper

In a bowl mash the garlic, and salt until a paste(of sorts)forms.
Whisk in the olive oil and lemon juice and then add the mayo blend well and add black pepper and cayenne pepper to taste.
This is a great sauce for any kind of seafood or chicken.
( If you want to make a dressing for salad just thin with a little water.)
Enjoy!

I have decided to go to Eyemart Express for my eye wear. I called my insurance co and I do have coverage and they will accept my insurance there. That makes me happy. So I have an appointment tomorrow afternoon. I will select my frames, have my exam and then finish up with the measurements etc. So I should have my two new pair of glasses by Friday or Saturday. So one more thing marked off my list.

We have dull skies again today because of the smoke. I read in the paper this morning the smoke is from the northern California fires. It is very high in the sky that is why we are not smelling smoke nor is it effecting the air quality which is good, but it is gloomy. The temps have dropped into the eighties which we are enjoying. So far the air has not been on today we just have the doors open to the screen doors.

I took a walk early and then came home and worked on the back deck cleaning and deadheading my potted flowers and I cut back my mint it was out of control. I never use it for anything but like the smell of it on the deck and I pulled some weeds along the back sidewalk.
My hubby just came in  from the garden with a handful of tomatoes. Everyday now we are getting three or four of the red beauties.

Tonight for dinner as I have a half quart of roasted Heirloom tomato sauce(our last jar) I will make spaghetti. I will make the sauce simple with ground round, onions, garlic and green olives. For herbs I will add oregano, fresh thyme, and basil. The sauce does not much as it roasted with garlic, olive oil and salt and pepper. We love pasta with the roasted tomato sauce and this year we have more tomato plants so more sauce for the freezer.

Tomorrow after we have taken care of my eye wear we are stopping at our favorite fish take out place Newman's Fish Grotto. We will bring home their wonderfully juicy deep fried cod. Their fish is never greasy or soggy. They make a crust like I do, a crunchy one made with bread crumbs and panko. Their fries are delicious as well, not to large cut and crispy and salted just right. So I will not need to make dinner tomorrow night which suits me just perfectly.

My husband is weeding our side yard so I am going to be the good wife and put on my gloves and go give him a hand or lets say two!
Later.



No comments:

Post a Comment