Friday, August 22, 2014

REMINDED OF NEWPORT

I was reminded of Newport this morning. My daughter Gina and husband Douglas are staying in Lincoln City for a few days, their last getaway for the summer. Today they are taking a drive to Newport to spend the day doing some antiquing and out to lunch. It reminded me of our amazing time we had in Newport when we went in January and spent just under a week there. We adore Newport and all there is to do there and it just reinforces how happy we will be when time allows to go to the coast this fall.

Wow, I am tired today. It was a very full day yesterday and has been for a few days. With my hubby home the past couple of days we tried to cram as much activity as we could into those days. So today I am not going to do other than what needs doing. I am not even walking,I should as I know it would energize me but just taking that first step and thinking of that mile walk or so tires me. So no walk. I may take a nap this afternoon. Besides being tired due to all the extra activity I did not sleep well last night at all. That really makes me lag today. I woke quite a few times during the night due to this and that. We needed to be up early this morning as hubby left the house at seven.

Our zucchini canoes were good last night but seriously I like my own recipe better, but now I cannot find it. Oh I hope I did not toss it. When I locate it I will share it with you as this is the time of year for that dish.
Tonight in my kitchen I am preparing spaghetti with red clam sauce. I made a jar of tomato sauce to have fresh and I have canned baby clams and will add a can to the sauce and toss with the pasta and sprinkle with grated asiago cheese. I have a crusty boule to heat in the oven to go with. I will not make a salad. Just an easy dinner, as I said,  to tired today to take more than I need to.

My husband is loaded with work once again. The jobs come in groups it seems. So now he will be working from one job to another until we go to Portland on the 6th of Sept. Then he has a huge job scheduled starting the day after we return. So I will have time to make sauce each day as the tomatoes allow and to make a few pints of applesauce with apples from the farm and also an apple pie and some zucchini bread to freeze, both chocolate and plain. So I will be a busy Zo in my kitchen. I am happy I have corn on the cob now in our garage frezzer and I may pick up a few more ears to freeze before the corn season is over. What a treat in the dead of winter to have a ear of corn messy with honey butter that taste like fresh picked. Ah heaven I think.

Well this food talk is making me a tad hungry. I am still trying to watch the carbs so I will have a sliced garden tomato with salt and pepper. Who wouldn't like that?

My thought for the day.
Pick a small plate and park the big one. Curb the carbs and cut the calories!
Have a fun Friday!





No comments:

Post a Comment