Tuesday, August 19, 2014

TOMATOES AND CUKES FOR LUNCH!

Now this is what I call a yummy lunch. All that is needed is salt and pepper. I just love going to the garden and picking my lunch. Fun!

I am still in tomatoes, there are bowls everywhere overwhelming the counters. I will make at least three more pans today of roasted tomatoes for sauce. I am so thankful for air conditioning if we did not have it the house would be unbearably hot with the oven at 445 degrees for so many hours.

I made a trip to the farm this morning. And I forgot onions! What? Makes me so irritated with myself. I really need onions for this weeks meals and hubbies lunches.  I did buy three big leeks and a handful of shallots that will work for cooking but I will have to go for onions before I shop next week. I bought lots of bodacious corn on the cob. I have it jammed into the outside fridge and come Thursday my husband and I will make a joint effort and get it ready for  the freezer. I am going to use a new method I saw online on U-Tube. This farmer picked corn in his field and then put the ears on a cutting board and cut about two inches off each end so they would fit into a gallon freezer bag. He then took the majority of husks off the corn but left a few layers. He then put the corn in a freezer bag. That's it! I read the comments online and everyone loved the corn frozen in this manner compared to blanching it first. They said it tasted just like fresh picked. So I am going to try this method as it is super easy. So my husbands part in this effort is to cut the ends off the ears of corn. It is hard to cut corn and I just do not have the strength to do a multiple ears. So later this year when I take a bag of corn from the freezer I will let you know how it taste.

My husband will be home early today about two or three PM. That makes me happy as he has been working since I came home from my daughters. I think we will go out to lunch Thursday after we take care of the corn as he has the day off. There is a lovely eatery here in Eugene along the Willamette River so perhaps we will go there. The weather is not so hot now only in the eighties which is so much better than the nineties.

Soon it will be time to go berry picking. We always love to have a fresh cobbler or pie. And I do like to make a few jars for berry jam or syrup. I still have two jars of blackberry jam from last summer. I should have taken a jar to my son as so loves the homemade berry jam but I did not even think of it. Bad mom. Well next time we visit I will make sure to give him some.
Speaking of my son I have not heard a peep from him for two weeks. Sometimes he calls almost daily and then a stretch of time will go by without hearing from him. So I am going to call him this afternoon hopefully it will be a good time for him to chat and we can catch up.

Well now I must get a load of laundry going and attend to my bedroom and bathroom and then into the kitchen for the tomato sauce marathon.
See ya.


No comments:

Post a Comment