Friday, December 7, 2012

FOGGY WNTER SCENE


This is truly a magnificent photo I downloaded from the internet. A German town I think.

We had such a joyous time in our hot tub last night. The lights just made us feel so festive. All just looked so inviting and cozy. The dark black starless sky, the cold damp air, the hot steamy water and on the house a blaze of twinkling white lights.

I had a lovely conversation with my daughter yesterday afternoon. She called right after we had finished with the lights. I poured a nice size glass on pinot noir and settled down into my chair and propped my feet on the ottoman and enjoyed my daughter's chatter. I miss the sound of her voice when we have not talked for a while.
Her life is so full with work and family. I remember only to well when I was her age how fast and furious my life also was. Working at a full time job and working on the houses with my husband in any down time I had. Plus taking care of our home. A busy life for sure. It makes me tired to think of it now.
So Gina and chatted for about a half hour only usually the calls are a hour or longer. But she was meeting her son and his gal for dinner and did not have much time. 
It appears that we will not be seeing each other over the holiday. My hubby will be working straight through the holidays with only Christmas Day off. The man in her life is not taking additional time off either. So we will not be making a trip to their home nor will they be coming here. So my daughter and I decided we two will get together here at my house after the first of the year as she has that week off from her work. I am looking so forward to that we do miss each other so if we have not been in each other's presence for a while and it has been since the first part of September.

Hubby was going to cook our meal this evening but we decided I would make scalloped potatoes and ham and fresh steamed broccoli  He was going to make a Hungarian dish but neither of us are not in the mood for it. So another time. He loves to cook for me, I love that he does.

Here is how I do my scallop potatoes sometimes with ham or sausage and sometimes not but tonight I will add ham.

I grease a casserole dish with butter or cooking spray. I then lay in thin sliced potatoes, then a layer off sliced onion and a sprinkling of chopped ham and then a layer with grated cheddar cheese. Layer up a another layer of everything and then cover completely with white sauce then sprinkle top with paprika.
I make a basic white sauce but add some chicken broth along with the milk, season with salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder or whatever is your pleasure.
This makes for a very creamy casserole loaded with the cheese and creamy sauce. 
Bake covered with foil in a 400 oven about an hour plus during the last ten minutes remove the foil.
I used to make a 9x13 casserole dish but it is just to much for the two of us. So now I use a 7x11 seems about right. We have about a half casserole left this way. Enough for another dinner or breakfast. I have even made up 8x8 casseroles they were perfect for camping in the motor coach.

Well I feel it is time to get on with the laundry. I am doing sheets. I am at the point that I only have one pair that the contour sheet is deep enough to accommodate our new thick mattress. It is past time to get a set of new sheets however my others are lack luster at this point.  I always buy high thread count Egyptian cotton sheets and they are not cheap. But oh how wonderful they feel next to your skin.....heavenly smooth and soft.
Till tomorrow.

It is Saturday now and I just reread this post and there were  error's. So I have cleaned it up so to speak. Hubby was talking to me as I was typing yesterday and it is apparent I was side tracked.


No comments:

Post a Comment