Friday, December 7, 2012

WINTER SCENE


Posted by PicasaThis scene is reminiscent of where I lived for many years in La Pine Oregon. Seems most of the winters were like this. Lots of snow and cold for months on end. At the corners of my mind it seems so very long ago. I lived there from the time I was 19 until I was 37. Then I moved to Bend with my then husband and two children. Bend was thirty miles to the north does not seem like much of a distance but the winters were certainly milder in Bend. Not to say it could not get nasty it is central Oregon after all. However you look at it, that country on the other side of mountains has two seasons, a short but glorious summer and long, long winter.
Give me the valley any day. Spring, summer, autumn and winter. Just as it should be. The winters here only last  about  four months as in March it is a mix of winter and spring and winter does not really start until we are out of October.
It is quite funny that the folks on the other side of the cold sunny state think it just rains here all the time. Well take today for instance. It was gray this morning breaking to clear skies and sun this afternoon and warm! 
We went out to lunch again, anyhow all that was needed was a long sleeved top and a light weight hoodie and I actually was to warm.
I never wear sweaters or heavy clothes in the valley's so called winter. I usually just layer up as I know I will be peeling off in most instances.
Tonight we are under clear skies and the temps are dropping but no rain. Most of the accumulated rain we have in our area falls during the nighttime sleeping hours.
I surely love the climate here and knowing that we will be seeing green shoots coming forth from the earth and buds appearing on trees in three short months makes the winters very bearable. 

Well it is now a day later as i did not post.

Today is Thursday my grocery shopping day as well as other errands.  So the day began early I was on a mission to get all done in quick order.  I knew when when I got home I wanted to get our outdoor lights strung. So this afternoon we hung twinkly lights along our house eves on the back side along the deck where the hot tub is.  We also put clear lights up along the top of kitchen cabinets and over the kitchen window. Now all looks so festive.  Over the next few days I will gradually start putting out my Christmas items. Not to overload but just to give the house a cheerful holiday face.

The chores are done for the day and as soon as darkness appears we will take a hot tub enjoying our newly hung twinkly lights.  We are having french dips with the leftover roast beef and small green salad for dinner. It will not take long to make this simple meal and then off to get into my sleepy clothes and relax in the front of the telle for the remainder of the evening.
Good night.


No comments:

Post a Comment