Tuesday, December 11, 2012

WINTER BIRDS













Monday.
Our deck has been littered with little birds today. Dee our neighbor must be gone because otherwise she would be feeding them. They are nibbling at the little seeds that fall off the leaf trees. I will not feed them as that would upset their pattern. They are just adorable I love watching them.

Another gloomy, dreary, grim, ugly drab day here....enough already. That is one thing I do not appreciate about Eugene. We have so many days like this in winter. Actually I prefer the rain or showers at least it brightens at times as the clouds move in and out. 

I just took a pan of brownies out the oven. Hubby likes them. I will make a chocolate ganache glaze to drizzle over them in a window pane pattern. They look very pretty that way.

Tonight in our kitchen I am making sausage, polenta bake. I will take a photo and post the recipe however I may have posted it before so I will check that and if so I will note the post date for you.

Here it is Tuesday morning. I got side tracked and did not finish the post yesterday.

We are going for our tree today. Hubby will be home around three or so. Also we will stop by the liquor store to pick up some rum so we can have hot buttered rums while trimming the tree tomorrow evening as it our custom. I am looking forward to trimming the tree as we always have a wonderful time it seems. There is something to be said for rituals. I always feel so contented doing the same things year after year. There is something so stabilizing in that for me.

There is not much on my plate today. A few house chores, a walk and a few Christmas cards to attend to. Yes I send out about ten cards a year mostly to my older family and friends that do the same. They are not into the FB Christmas greetings or even e-mail. There is something to be said for this lost art also. I love getting cards in the mail. I display them during the holiday time and the following year I make gift tags out of them. I cut out a pleasing pattern from them then with a hole punch make a hole at the top of the tag and then I insert satin ribbon into the hole to attach to the gifts. They are quite pretty and different.
Well as I do not get many cards at this point I am short on gift tags. So sometimes I use new cards and make them. I just like making tags and book markers also out of old cards.

I need to get on with the day. My husband being sweet as is his norm let me sleep-in this morning. He left very early as he is coming home early so we can get the tree. I barely heard him he was like a little mouse. So I snuggled down under the comforter and continued to snooze away until eight AM. Ahhh nice. I slept good last night and I feel very refreshed. 

I posted the recipe for Polenta sausage casserole on 7/27/12. The only thing I did differently this time was I used bratwurst.  I boiled them first then sliced them and fried them in a little oil to brown them and then drained the slices on a paper towel before adding them to the casserole.
We will have leftovers tonight. As much as I love to cook it is nice to have an evening with no dinner to make.
Till tomorrow.





No comments:

Post a Comment