Monday, October 8, 2012

CHILDHOOD MEMORIES IN A BROWN PAPER BAG?

Yesterday afternoon I opened a brown paper that held six large gravenstein apples purchased at the farm. You are going to say here she is with the apple stories again well.......
I was preparing to make a small batch of applesauce. 
When I opened the bag my summers from childhood jumped out at me. I closed my eyes and went back into myself. Memories stirred within me that had not been roused for years. I will not go into the details but it brought tears to my eyes and a large lump deep in my throat. Not because I was sad in any way but because I was that young girl again on a summer's day living on the farm with my Mom in the kitchen and my little brother outdoors playing. With the warm sun high in the sky, the big white clouds, the grasshoppers, the horse hanging his head over the fence waiting for tidbits. The dog and the many cats scampering about. The buzz of bee's busy in the flowers along the sidewalk, the scent of blackberries thick in my throat and most of all the sweet juicy aroma of those apples. Yes all of that came back to me as I stood in my kitchen with my nose tucked into that bag inhaling deeply those six sweet fragrant apples. 
Hubby comes in and says "what are you doing?" I look at him and smile, how can I explain? So I just said, it is only some childhood memories in a brown paper bag. He looked at me knowingly and nodded, he knows how I am.

I am alone today. My husband left early for the job site. It was totally dark when we left the comfort and warmth of our bed. The house was colder than it had been for many months now. I rustled up my thick furry slippers and a cozy hoodie. As the sausage cooked and the egg sizzled for hubby's breakfast I warmed up slowly sipping my hot coffee. It truly was our first fall morning.
Now the sun is hot on the deck and I will go out as I do each day at this time to sit and read and sop of some vitamin D for a while. I wonder how long this amazing weather will last?

I will leave you now to enjoy this October day.


No comments:

Post a Comment