Tuesday, October 30, 2012

SEASONS BOUNTY


Posted by PicasaYes the bounty is fruitful this time of year!
I choose this photo as we went to the Cornucopia yesterday for lunch as I had mentioned.
The place was bustling when we arrived. In the eatery they have four areas in which to eat. We grabbed a table in the mid-section, cozy with an array of about four five tables. There are blackboards hanging throughout the Cornucopia listing their daily specials and of course the many different micro-brews several from our local breweries in Eugene. We lucked out as it was Burger Monday. $11.99 for a burger and fries plus a pint of micro-brew of your choice. As we were going to split this worked out well. Hubby had a local beer from Nikasi Brewery, a seasonal ale and I had a glass of local pinot noir. We enjoyed our lunch it was an amazing burger as usual. Of course two Amtrak trains went by while we were there so our drinks danced about the table each time. When we left it was a monsoon outside. It was raining so hard it looked like a gray sheet hitting the streets and flying back up into the air. I zipped my gortex shell up tight and threw the hood up and dashed as did my hubby we were laughing trying to jump puddles. We leaped in the car faster than Oregon frogs! It was good day.

No rain today and very mild once again. Our two trees in front of the house along the sidewalk and street are just amazing right now at this very moment. If it were sunny I would take a photo. One is entirely red the other totally gold. The leaves under them are starting to pile up and it will soon be time to rake them to the street for collection.

I was out and about today. I bought my husband a new very cozy winter shirt and pair of fleece lined slippers. I bought myself a pair of skinny jeans........yes skinny jeans. I like them however. I have kind of little legs so they look fine but feel like I have a pair of leggings on. Oh the styles are so silly sometimes yet I seems to just go along like the rest of the sheep. 

Here is a thought for the day. What if you had no power for the next week? Would you be OK? What could you do to prepare better? 
Would you be warm do you have something other than power for heat? A lot of folks do not and we are one of them. We have an electric furnace and that is it other than our little electric fireplace. We do have lots of wood and a fire bowl outdoors and lots of down coverlets and wool blankets. So I suppose we could make do. For cooking we do not have gas but we have our outdoor grill with a propane side burner and we do have a charcoal grill as well. We have emergency food stored in a cabinet in the garage as well as a stocked pantry in the house. We have stock piled lots of canned goods that could be eaten cold but better warmed. A supply of tuna and sardines, hams etc. We have a good supply of water and powered sports drinks with vitamins to add to the water if we care to. There is instant coffee and tea and a medical kit and flashlights, matches, candles etc. A bottle of whiskey. Well you get the picture. Hubby has his big backpacking pack near by with alcohol burning stoves so if we would have to leave the our home we could load up the pack with food and take water.
We surely hope that time will not come but better to be somewhat prepared.
I have been thinking of the folks on the east coast especially those in the mountains of Virginia and Kentucky etc where they are getting up to two feet of snow. I hope they are prepared and can stay warm.

Well I need to and I repeat I need to unearth the top of my office desk. When we are busy with jobs if I do not tend to it daily this is what happens.
Happy Autumn day to you.


No comments:

Post a Comment