Saturday, October 13, 2012

OLD LETTERS

Old letters are like journals.
Before my Mother passed she gave me a large box of letters. Every letter I had ever written her since I was an adult was in that box. For many years we lived in different area's so writing letters was our form of communication. In the olden days as my grandchildren would call them, calling long distance was really prohibitive as it could make for a very expensive phone bill if you were not careful. So it was truly a treat when we talked on the phone as it did not happen that often.
The letters I have commence in the early seventies. Before that time my parents lived near us so no need for writing.  The letters in the seventies are primarily seasonal letters as my parents would spend the winters Arizona the rest of the year they lived in our same community.
So it is quite amazing to read my words written by hand on pretty stationary or cards or on cheap lined paper and scraps of this and that. I poured my heart out at times and shared what was happening in our household.  I see though that I withheld some information that would have been worrisome for them and glorified other events to make my parents feel happy. 
Regardless I love reading them and it seems at least once every couple years I pull a batch out and read them as if I am possessed. Once I start a packet I cannot quit. I am truly so happy I have these as well as the ones my mother wrote to me that I saved.
It makes me realize what a large life I have lived as I have forgotten so much. Reading them brings me back to that place in time and I become immersed in that day that I put pen to paper. So I say thanks Mom for holding on to all that history.

This afternoon the showers started and now that continual drizzle in happening. The house seems dark I have lamps in every room turned on as I do in winter. Our little electric fireplace is glowing orange making all seem warm and comfy. 
It is not cold however we have no heat on. Hubby asked if I wanted the furnace turned on. No, I said. I like it like this. I do not like feeling overly warm in the house.  He said, I am going to grab my flannel shirt and he put on his long pants too! He lives most of the year in shorts.  I said, are you the same man that came knocking at our motor coach door a few years ago looking like the abominable  snowman? He sheepishly said yes.
We had camped in the parking lot of Mt. Bachelor ski resort for a couple of nights. He had left early that morning to go cross country skiing. It was snowing hard and the wind was wild. By the time he came home late afternoon he was a frozen snowman. His hat, face, mustache, were frozen over. He was so happy and thrilled with his ski trip.   Now he grabs a flannel shirt when our first rain starts?.....well you can see why I gave him a hard time.

Last night we had wild caught cod fish. The fish was crusty on the outside and so succulent and juicy on the inside. Along with homemade tarter sauce and coleslaw and dressing it was a feast.
I watched hubby as he ate. A piece of fish in one hand dipping into the tarter sauce a bottle of malt vinegar in the other giving it a good sprinkle. Then his smile as he pops the fish into his mouth.....mmmnnn such pleasure.

Sunday we are having a butterflied whole chicken.  I will do as I did last time making a rub of  warm spices(cumin, allspice, paprika, coriander, salt and pepper)  and laying the chicken on a bed of rosemary, garlic and onions. To the side we will have danish squash filled with butter, salt, pepper and cinnamon. Red potatoes with parsley and butter and more coleslaw as I bought a large head of cabbage.

So enough talk about food as it is making me hungry. Right now I want to get back to my book. This book is a riot. I find myself laughing out loud.
I just finished a beautiful tender book by Elizabeth Berg written in the time of world war 11. 
This new book is quite off the wall and funny yet filled with details of the late fifties and early sixties  So I can really relate   I love it so far and I am only into the 3rd chapter. So now it is calling or I should screaming at me to come and open it once again.

Well now it is a day later. I got involved yesterday and did not get back to the computer.
So this Saturday morning I find myself alone for the entire day. Not a bad thing I will make it a productive day.
I have finished re-covering the dining room chair seats. I am pleased with the results. 
Today I am going to try to reclaim some space in my sideboard and china cabinet. Both are running over and I have not bought new items so I know it is just a matter of rearranging items.
We are having family for Thanksgiving so the china cabinet sparkling and orderly is a must.
Of course I will make time for my wild wacky book today. I normally do not read these kinds of books but I am so enjoying it.

No rain today but it gray and all is wet from yesterdays drizzle.
I may decide to make a couple loaves of bread today, seems just the perfect type of day for bread making.
Off I go.






No comments:

Post a Comment